Cleaning a stanky bilge?

Sep 18, 2022
Macgregor 25 Cincinnati
So…. My bilges smell like pee. Hopefully mouse pee and not leaky port-a-potty pee.

Just bought this 1985 Mac 25, barn find seemingly in great shape. The Boat had a faint funk when I bought it, and once I got it home and gutted it and opened all the panels, the smell got pretty strong.

The boat is on the hard, how do I tackle getting rid of this deeply hidden stank? Can I flood the bilge with soapy water and pump it out a few times? Must I drag all the foam out for access? It can’t be healthy to have too much water weight in there while the boat is off the water.

While I’m at it, how do I remove the ”ice box” from the port settee without breaking it?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Can't help you with the ice box removal, but if you follow these instrutions (an excerpt from my book), you'll end up with a clean ODORLESS bilge:

1. You can't get rid of any odor unless you first eliminate the source of that odor. So before starting any cleaning you need to find and fix any oil leaks, replace any permeated hoses and remove any other sources of odor.

2. Bilge pads and “pillows” no longer can separate oil from water and collect the oil once detergent or degreasers are mixed with oil. So before using any degreaser, detergent or other cleaning product, put them down to sop up all the oil and/or diesel possible. Replace pads/pillows as necessary and dispose of them in approved sites.

3. Scrub the bilges. In my experience, a power washer is the best way to clean a bilge, because it gets into places you can't reach.

4. The most important step: Flush all the dirty water out! A wet dirty bilge IS a primordial soup! You won’t get it clean by just dumping something into it, then letting the bilge pump dispose of the dirty water, even if you have scrubbed it...any more than you'd end up with a clean kitchen sink if did nothing more than pour some Dawn into greasy dirty dishwater, scrubbed the sink, and then just pulled the plug.

5. Use a shop vac, or dinghy bailer, bucket and sponge to mop up the remaining water, then leave hatches open so it can completely dry out for 12-24 hours. Turning fans on if possible helps to accomplish that.

NOW you finally have a clean bilge and are ready to eliminate the residual odor.

There is a product that I tripped over at a boat show in Seattle several years ago and brought samples home to test. It's called PureAyre and is available from pet supply stores and Amazon too, as well as directly from the company http://www/pureayre.com and is the only product I've found that will not only eliminate "organic" (sewage, mold etc) odors, but also diesel, oil and even smoke odors. This stuff works! Put a gallon undiluted in a pump garden spray jug (unless you enjoy wearing out your hand on a trigger sprayer) and just lightly "hose down" every surface, nook and cranny in your bilges, inside bait/fish boxes, lockers, and any place else that's smelly--including the inside of your boat shoes!--even the inside of the fridge; it's approved for use around food. It also does a great job on cushions, musty foulies and PFDs. But remember: PureAyre is not a cleaning product! Use it only to remove residual odors after you’ve thoroughly cleaned and removed all the sources of odors.

Do not rinse!!! Just leave lockers—including the fridge or ice box, and all hatches etc open for 24 hours. Run fans if possible, and put soft goods and anything else that isn't bolted down out in the sun all day.

--Peggie

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I had a Mac 22 once… also a barn find. Field mice had made nests in the foam. I had to pull it all and replace it. It was gross

Sep 18, 2022
Macgregor 25 Cincinnati
I had a Mac 22 once… also a barn find. Field mice had made nests in the foam. I had to pull it all and replace it. It was gross
That's pretty much my fear. Does this stuff just live fore and aft, or is it under the seats too?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
On the 22 it was aft and under the V-berth. I tossed all of the old stuff and I used the pink foam boards you get at Lowes and/or Home Depot (foundation insulation) to replace. And I cut to fit using a carpet knife.

1667568728797.png
1667568752845.png

I used to take my Mac 22 to the NC outerbanks each summer and I was often far from help and unable to outrun a T-storm...so... I kept the foam. I think if I was only lake sailing I would have made a different decision.

Sep 18, 2022
Macgregor 25 Cincinnati
.I used to take my Mac 22 to the NC outerbanks each summer and I was often far from help and unable to outrun a T-storm...so... I kept the foam. I think if I was only lake sailing I would have made a different decision.
Open water is my plan, too, so I'm keen to keep the buoyancy. I have used the thin pink stuff, laminated with fiberglass, to make some pretty strong components in the past. It's top of my list for the v-berth at least.

Sep 18, 2022
Macgregor 25 Cincinnati
Can't help you with the ice box removal, but if you follow these instrutions (an excerpt from my book), you'll end up with a clean ODORLESS bilge:
--Peggie
Thanks for the thorough response! The idea I had was to drag the garden hose onboard, spray and scrub as needed, then hose it all down with the bilge pump running.