cleaning a marine head

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
Any tips and tricks to cleaning an overdue disaster of a head, the PO didn't clean it and the boat has been on the hard for the last 5-7 years, so it's crusted on, what cleaner should I use and which should I avoid?

I'm thinking about getting Peggie's book to help with all that, but I need to clean it first and inspect the hoses, so far no smell.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If you're referring to the bowl, CLR shouId get it clean. But depending on the make/model/age of the toilet and the hoses, I think they're gonna need a lot more than that.

And I think you'll find my book very useful. Although it does deal with every source of odor on a boat and how to cure, or better yet PREVENT 'em, it's actually a comprehensive "marine toilets and sanitation systems 101" manual that explains the laws, describes all the types of systems and how they work, and will help you learn how to operate and maintain your system to prevent 99% of problems instead of having to cure 'em. 'Cuz you get to do any preventive maintenance on your terms when it's convenient...the need to cure a problem never happens when it is! And I'm always happy to answer questions and solve problems.

--Peggie

Sep 29, 2008
Morgan Out Island 33 Pompano Beach
While my head wasnt as bad as yours sounds..
1/4 cup basking soda and 1/2 cup vinegar. poor soda in dry bowl, followed by vinegar.
Let it sit for 1/2 hour and rinse.
Safe, easy and cheap.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
...Which is the reason I think it's gonna need a lot more than just cleaning. I'll have a better idea of just how much when he gets back to us with the make/model age of the toilet and also the hoses.

--Peggie

Sep 17, 2012
Morgan 383 Fairhaven, NY
I unbolted my head and took it home. Pressure washed it, disassembled all components and did the CLR /vinegar soak. At least overnight if not a day or two. Wound up chipping the hardened deposits out of the bowl, outlet and flushing passages with screwdrivers and other tools. Needless to say have the correct rebuild kit on hand. Flushed with fresh water & using Peggy's mineral oil dose periodically prevented any further issues. 1980 vintage Groco IIRC.
Rebuilding the head is more a mental obstacle than onerous task.

Aug 17, 2013
The head is a Jabsco but not sure on the model, this is after roughly 30 minutes of hard scrubbing.
7B688426-A9C6-47F9-8C86-243A099C37B1.jpeg

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
To Fred1diver and Morgandonor... Both of your toilets are too old to be worth rebuilding.

Needless to say have the correct rebuild kit on hand...1980 vintage Groco IIRC.
I don't know how you can be sure you have the correct rebuild it 'cuz there are THREE version of the Groco manual toilet...it was the HC in 1980, HE came next...and HF is the current version, and it's been updated at least once. You can't just use the current HF rebuild kit on an earlier version...here are the instructions for doing that: https://www.groco.net/media/file/file/h/c/hc_he_to_hf_upgrade_sheet.pdf And by the time you've spent the money to do all that you're better off just replacing the toilet.

If you're determined to stick with a manual toilet, the Raritan PH SuperFlush is the current version of their PH II, which has been the top rated rated manual toilet since Raritan introduced it in 1983 and still is. Raritan PH SuperFlush If you're ready to consider upgrading to the "push button" convenience of an electric macerating toilet, the Raritan SeaEra is also a top rate toilet. Raritan SeaEra Promo Sheet Don't let the list prices of either of these toilets scare you...they're available for a lot less.

[QUOTE="fred1diver, post: 1693609, member: 121574" The head is a Jabsco but not sure on the model...QUOTE]
It's a Jabsco manual toilet (there's only one), but it's definitely NOT the current "Twist 'n' Lock" version, which Jabsco introduced at least 10 years ago. Jabsco Twist 'n' Lock Manual Toilets A replacement pump should fit, isn't that expensive and is an easy job that only requires removing/replacing two hoses and 4 bolts. All the hoses also need to be replaced and we don't know what condition the holding tank is in. So I'd like to suggest a "Plan B:"

On any boat much smaller than about 30' a self-contained system—an "MSD" portapotty--makes a lot of sense. The "MSD" designation in the model name/number means it has fittings for a pumpout line and vent line, and is designed to be permanently installed (actually just sturdier brackets than portables, so you could still take it off the boat if you absolutely have to), which means that although it's still called a PORTApotty, you don't have to carry anything including urine jugs off the boat to empty it.

A 5-6 gallon model is household height and holds 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least a 30 gal tank to hold that many from a manual marine toilet and I'm not sure a "composter" can hold that much poop and organic material needed to absorb the liquid in solid waster (which, btw is about 75% water). No plumbing needed except a vent line and pumpout hose--so no new holes in the boat...and -0- maintenance needed except for rinsing out the tank--which you can do with a bucket while it's being pumped out. Total cost including the pumpout hose and vent line is about $200--a fraction of what you'd spend for toilet, tank and all the related plumbing needed. And the best part is, you have all the advantages of a toilet and holding tank without giving up a single square foot of storage space.

That's my $.02 worth for both of you...what do y'all think?

--Peggie

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I upgraded an old MSD on my boat with a new one along with new lines. Cost was about $240. I already had a pump out port on deck. The Dometic SaniPottie 975MSD works OK and holds 5 gallons. We only pee in it. There was a slight odor over the winter. Pouring some head odor eliminator and water into the lower tank took care of that. Boat was stored indoors

Aug 17, 2013
Ok thanks for letting me know, I’ll stop scrubbing and start taking it out as soon as they reopen the borders

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
We only pee in it. There was a slight odor over the winter. Pouring some head odor eliminator and water into the lower tank took care of that.
No reason to avoid putting solid waste and TP into it, just use a good tank product...and because it's vented, you can use the same tank product you'd use in a holding tank....just avoid the cheap toxic chemicals that only add a chemical odor to any any sewage odor. No-Flex Digestor Noflex Digestor is the best one...used as directed, it totally eliminates odor and even dissolves any sludge, so need to pump out till the tank is full.

Fred, you should be able to find the Dometic 975msd at a Canadian dealer. A bit more expensive than getting it from a US retailer, shipped to a US address (I'm guessing you want to wait till the border re-opens because you have one), but will let you do all the work quicker so you can get the boat out on the water as soon as possible.

--Peggie

Aug 17, 2013
hey Peggie, quick question I'll be buying a new jabsco tomorrow, I know I need some ¾" hose for the inlet but what kind of hose? I simply don't trust the old one

Aug 17, 2013
so I got my new head today, I started the install this afternoon but the heat got to me, so I'll finish it tomorrow, much nicer than cleaning 5 year old poop lol