Clean Out Oil Pan

Feb 25, 2014
Hunter Hunter 30 Lake Lanier
After 30 years, I was wondering if I should remove and clean-out my oil pan on my Yanmar 2GM20 engine. Yes, I do change the oil and filter each year but was wondering if there is still gunk in the bottom of the pan which should be removed.

Any comments are appreciated.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
As Mike Rowe the host of Dirty Jobs might say... You have no idea until you explore it for yourself.

After 30 years there has to be something in the pan. Some say, "If it ain't broke don't try to fix it!" "If you start a project like that there is no telling where project creep might go."

On the other hand... oil sludge in an engine can over time increase wear.

If you have the time and the inclination why not.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I agree with @jssailem up to a point. I would not attempt a job like this without compelling evidence that it was necessary.
I have over 3100 hours on my 1997 Volvo MD22L-B and I change the oil and every fall, probably just like you do. I change the oil when it is hot and I have never observed any "gunk or lumps" of stuff. This change each year is at about 150 hours of run time.
Now I do pump the oil out through a tube that goes to the bottom of the crankcase, but the flow speed is low, so there could be some residue in the bottom somewhere.
If I were really concerned, perhaps a quick flush with an engine cleaner additive, then drain and change the filter and refill with new diesel oil would be my cleaning attempt. I have never done this, so I would research diesel engine cleaning before cleaning.
You do use detergent diesel engine oil, don't you?
Why don't you talk to a diesel rebuild shop and get a better real-life experienced opinion?
As always, YMMV.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I've been seriously contemplating going even further; Having the pan tapped and a drain valve installed so I can run a tube to a catch pan when I change the oil. Haven't pulled the trigger. I'm waiting to see if the drought continues. Last year we had no sailing season. The lake was too low. :confused:

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
There likely maybe some gunk or sludge in the bottom of the oil pan. If it is sitting there stuck on the bottom of the pan it is innocuous.

If there is gunk or sludge stuck to the oil pan it is most assuredly stuck to the valve cover, timing gear cover, and every other nonmoving portion of the engine.

Adding any sort of solvent has the potential of loosening the sludge allowing it to fall to the pan and clog the oil pickup tube or jam the oil pump. Were you suspecting stuck rings or some other issue a cleaner may postpone a teardown.

If you really want to pull the oil pan it is an easy task. Easy providing there is clearance to remove the pan after separating it from the block.

I'd bet a beer the rod caps and more likely the oil pickup stick down farther than the space you have to lower the pan to clear them without lifting the engine.

Don't go tempting gremlins to show their ugly faces trying to solve a nonissue.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
If you really want to pull the oil pan it is an easy task. Easy providing there is clearance to remove the pan after separating it from the block.
On my O’Day 322, I do t think I could get a wrench on the bolts, let alone drop the pan…

My vote is leave it alone unless you have a compelling reason to drop it...in my case, if I ever left the engine off the mounts…and then only a ”maybe”.

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Having just completed a rebuild of my engine (1973 Perkins 4.107) I can affirm there was 49 accumulated years of sludge and goo in the bottom of the oil pan. It is now gone.

It was not affecting the engine (as far as I know). So the suggestions to "leave well enough alone" are on solid ground.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Is there a drain plug in the oil pan? I'm not familiar with the engine in question. On my Universal 5416 I have a drain plug. After running the engine, then sucking out 90%, I removed the plug and drained the remaining oil. Many years of sludge and crap came out. I used a shallow cake pan to catch the dirty oil, due to available area underneath the engine.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
As others have noted, see if you have the room to drop the pan. If you do, I'd vote for putting in a drain fitting that you can attach a hose to. That is what I have. I attach the hose to a vacuum extractor to remove the oil. The hose is a few feet long and zip tied to out of the way and capped at the end when not in use.

This set up has been on my boat for over 30 years. I took off the oil pan about five years ago to have a look and there was very little sludge if any. Although I attribute this to changing oil when engine is warmed up and doing it regularly per the manufacturer, but at least once a year before winter. I have a Yanmar 3GMD.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
You can get an endoscope for less than $10, run it down the dip tube and have a look before you do anything.
Hmm. It looks like only crappy ones are $10, might have to spend $20+

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
On my Universal 5416 I have a drain plug. After running the engine, then sucking out 90%, I removed the plug and drained the remaining oil. Many years of sludge and crap came out. I used a shallow cake pan to catch the dirty oil, due to available area underneath the engine.
This is why I'd like to add a drain plug

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Removing the oil pan in situ on most marine engines is bad enough.
Replacing one with the gasket lined up properly and everything tensioned so there are no oil leaks is a nightmare.
So, NO!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I am now using a Full Synthetic Oil [5 years on same Engine as @Rich Stidger ]. No Sludge from that Oil.

Keep a few spare Oil Filers aboard.

Go Sailing !

Jim....