Clean bottom....now what?

Oct 17, 2011
Catalina 310 USA
Just had the hull paint soda blasted off my 2001 Catalina. Looking for advise on where to go from here. 1 coat of hard paint, then 1 coat of abblative paint?

Boat will be in the water for 2 years (pulled everyother year), located in the northern half of the Chesapeake.

Thanks,

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
We went with 2 coats of the Interlux Barrier Coat followed by 2 coats of the Interlux Pasifica Plus. That lasted for two years and did well in Boston.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
IIRC, you can't mix the two types of paint. Many folks who use ablatives will put two different colors on to be able to see wear. I use hard paint, 1 1/2 coats, lasts anywhere from 2 to 5 years.

Feb 8, 2011
Beneteau 361 Grand Bend
If by hard paint you mean barrier coat the each supplier/ manufacturer has it's own recommendations as to mil thickness and this can be up to 5 coats. I've used interprotect 2000 and it is quite popular and highly recommended. The barrier coat is then followed by a coat of anti fouling and the type and number of coats depends on the area in which you sail. You will want to check with the chandleries and sailors in your area as to what to use.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
IIRC, you can't mix the two types of paint.
Not so. Many (if not most) copper-based anti fouling paints are compatible with each other, regardless of whether they are hard or ablative, as this Interlux paint compatibility chart shows. It's all in the preparation.

Mar 22, 2009
Catalina 310 Gulfport Small Craft Harbor, MS
I just hauled Polaris in December for a bottom job. The plan was to just clean and then put on couple new coats of Micron 66 over the top of the Micron 66 the previous owner had used 3 years prior.

However, once it was out the boat yard pointed out that the current Micron 66 paint was peeling away from the hard (I think it was a hard paint) from 6 years prior. It was pretty obvious, especially around the water line. They told me I could paint the new Micron 66 over the old Micron 66 but that old layer was peeling away so it may not work very well.

In the end they recommended sand-blasting the bottom and starting fresh which is what I did. Put on 2 new layers of epoxy barrier paint and then applied the first layer of Micron 66 while the epoxy paint was still tacky to get better adhesion. All of this in 1 day.

Next day put on the second coat of Micron 66. And then up in the lift the next morning and paint the areas where the jackstands were.

All seemed to work very well. Here on Mississippi Gulf Coast the advice I am getting is 3-year cycle will work. With the occasional in the water cleaning of the bottom.

Cheers,
Jim