Clean bilges?

Mar 15, 2011
Catalina 310 Gloucester Point, Va
Ow do you clean the area under the engine floor housing? There is stuff that flows into the bilges that come from further aft.
Can I just run a water hose down the aft deck locker with some soap (dawn) and anything back there will flow forward to the two compartments under the removable floor plates?
Thanks for any suggestions

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I just want to make sure we are talking the same area. Directly under the engine is a separate bilge so that any oil or fuel leaked it would be contained to that area. Under this engine bilge there is an interior portion of the hull where water can drain down to the primary bilge. You see the effluent from this area at the rear of the primary bilge where water can go under the structural members in the holes that were drilled by the manufacturer. In the rear, near the stuffing box and the transmission coupling there are two holes on my boat that allow water from the stuffing box to drain into the primary bilge and not fill up the engine bilge with salt water. See the photo.

I have directed a hose at these holes to try and get some of the dust and debris that is under this area to the primary bilge but I didn't have much success. I guess it all depends on what and how much you are trying to get out. Also, I have lifted up some of the floor boards in the galley area. You can't get to that area from there either. Its fiberglass floor with the floor boards on top.

Attachments

Mar 15, 2011
Catalina 310 Gloucester Point, Va
Yes, trying to get to area under the engine bilge. I did blow water into the holes in front of the stiffing box, but I think aft of the struggling box in the compartment with the diesel talk is also the area contributing to debris moving forward in to the primary bilge. Do you think if I run a whole bunch of soapy water in that Area it will flow forward to the the primary bilge?

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Yes, trying to get to area under the engine bilge. I did blow water into the holes in front of the stiffing box, but I think aft of the struggling box in the compartment with the diesel talk is also the area contributing to debris moving forward in to the primary bilge. Do you think if I run a whole bunch of soapy water in that Area it will flow forward to the the primary bilge?
It will but you will not get all of the stuff there.

JK