Clarification on H31 Bilge Holes

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JT

I'm in the process of eliminating quite a nasty odor on my 1985 H31 and, from what I read in the archives, it looks like I'll need to drill at least one hole in the main bilge to allow rotten water to escape the space between the hull and the liner. From what I understand, most people drill a 1/2 to 1" hole on the forward facet of the main bilge. One of the previous owners apparently drilled a small hole about 2 inches from the top of the bilge on the forward facet but this does not appear to be low enough to allow all of the water in the liner to be pumped out. I can see nasty smelling water slowly drip out of the small hole but I'd like to drill lower to allow more water to flow out. However, I'm a bit afraid to do any drilling down without being absolutely certain I won't go through the hull. To those of you who have done this before, where did you drill? From what I can tell, most people have drilled on the front facet of the bilge, below the hole I already have. Is this correct? I've attached a photo of the existing hole so you can see where this is for yourself. Thanks in advance for any help!

Status
Not open for further replies.