Circumnavigated in our H170

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
Well we circumnavigated South Bass Island. It's not the planet, but it seemed big in a 170. The wife and I left from Catawba State Park on Lake Erie. We went clockwise around the island and got back to Catawba as the sun was setting. It took us about 7 hours. 1 1/2 hours was in three footers... that was pretty awesome water over the bow, spray in your face fun! Good steady SSW wind all day. I need to get a spinaker for down wind. Who else went sailing this weekend?

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
Went sailing! --

Sure did, Jerry. But the story has a rather harrowing ending (er, middle AND ending). I was caught in a vicious downburst/squall??? out on the lake and capsized! I'll write more later on it, but suffice it to say, righting a turtled 170 will NEVER be just a one-man job AND without the Hobie football atop the 170's mast (or properly "foamed" mast), it is basically impossible to prevent the 170 from turning turtle once it's capsized! Mike G.

May 22, 2004
Hunter 170 Brewerton
Going Turtle

Gball, Can't wait to hear the details. FYI...I went with a Hobie 'Baby Bob'. Works great! Considered the foam but went with the Hobie float cause can remove, long term integrity of foam possibly a concern & if foam ever doesn't work out will need a Hobie float anyway. Looks a little like a 'training wheel' to those who know but level of confidence in the device is very high. Trial capsizing with 1st mate was fun & righting was effortless. Joe

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
I'll check out the Baby Bob

Joe, The Baby Bob sounds like a slimmer, more seductive device than the large Hobie football. I might need to check it out. As you'll read in my capsize post, squalls are so uncommon, that I'm not totally convinced I need a float on my masthead. Perhaps I just need to keep a better eye on the weather, and prepare when there's the chance for downbursts. Taking a dunk is just a part of dinghy sailing, but dipping the motor in the drink isn't any good. Mike

J

Joe

How about a Stick in the Mud?

I mean Mast :(. Also no fun & could be pricey! Joe

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Picture of the Island

Here's a picture of South Bass Island off in the distance as we rounded Catawba Island. As you can see it was a really nice day for a sail.

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
North Side of the Island

Here's a shot of the North side of South Bass Island. There's also a large ferry carrying cars in the middle and off to the right is a house up on the cliff made from the a lake freighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.