Chessie Diner Raft Up

Dec 4, 2006
Hunter 34 Havre de Grace
I've been thinking again.... sometimes dangerous. The holidays are about over, the sailing season in this part of the world hasn't begun.

I wonder about all the names I see on this site.
Some are in my marina. I've met a few....
And an idea hit me (ouch!).

Would any of the Chesapeake Bay sailors be interested in picking a mutually agreeable date, time, and place. Then descend enmass on some poor unsuspecting greasy spoon diner? Nuthin fancy, or really organized for that matter.

When I think of greasy spoon, I think of the Lighthouse Diner in Havre de Grace.

A chance to put faces with fonts, as it were.....
Any interest?

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Hunter 82? 37 Cutter Wherever the wind takes me
Sounds good to me

I'd definitely be up for it as long as it's not too early. I really like the Lighthouse Diner - I'm glad you didn't say the Waffle House :puke:

Manny

BTW - I was down to Tidewater yesterday. I really like the blue on Loon's hull. Is that paint or is it gelcoat?

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2006
Hunter 34 Havre de Grace
Paint

That's paint. The P.O. did it after the topsides got fairly scuffed up in hurricane Isabel.
And the graphics. Which as you see are going to need replacing soon.

Puttting the blue together with the Loon graphic on the quarters makes it look really sharp.
(click on the boat name below for some pictures)

So anyone else in?

Nov 4, 2005
Hunter 34 Havre de Grace, MD
Re: Paint

I'd be interested in this. I see by Manny's comment on Waffle House that we already have something in common.

Noel Hasty
s/v Principal PLeasure H34 Havre de Grace

Dec 4, 2006
Hunter 34 Havre de Grace
Well ya can't get borscht at Waffle House. It's usually on the menu at the Lighthouse.
Haven't tried it yet though....

Anyone else?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Is the Waffle House really as bad as you guys say? If so, I'd like to get my in-laws a gift certiciate, and that sounds like the ideal place.

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
Hey Bob!

Have an idea of when you're planning to hold this get-together? Where's the Lighthouse located? Out on 40 or in town?

Dec 4, 2006
Hunter 34 Havre de Grace
Hey Dan!

We haven't picked a date as yet.
My original post was to find out if anyone was interested. Figuring that if we had more than a handful, I'd make some "arrangements" beforehand.

So gents, what works for you?
Soon? February? March?

As for me starting Jan 18th things get real busy at work for about a month.
But I might be able to get away for an afternoon on a weekend.

And it doesn't need to the be the Lighthouse. Or even in Havre de Grace for that matter. I just picked that to get things going. Being creatures of habit, Marsha and I usually end up there if we go to the boat. Or Coakleys Pub, and once in a while Ken's Steak House (used to be the Crazy Swede).

The Lighthouse Diner is out on RT-40. North of the West Marine store by about a half mile or so.

Here's a Google Map link : Lighthouse Diner, HdG

May 18, 2004
J-boat 42 conn. river
this is a little off topic ,But, which one of you crazies was out sailing in HDG yesterday afternoon about 1pm? had to go down to middle river to check on boat after fridays big blow and check all the dock lines to make sure no chafe occured. on way home we were crossing hatem bridge and lo and belhold there was some one out there sailing along and i'll bet freezing their ass off. i would love to go out in the winter but there has to be a limit to the lunacy. i think it might be 34deg and 10 to 15 knots of wind.

Ctskip

Sep 21, 2005
other 12 wet water
capn jim,
I love winter sailing and miss the really cold weather. I now live in Texas and folks here think I'm nuts because I don't decommission my vessel for the winter. I'll admit it gets cold here (not like up north) but still freezing is still freezing. Today is 70 degrees and will be again tomorrow. I have a small ceramic heater for the cabin for when it really cold and it's works well. When i bought the boat she had a dodger and I rarely use it here in Dallas. I love to go sailing and all dressed in my winter woolies and with the dodger in place and get to about a 25 degree heel and the wind being steady. There is nothing better. No power boats and few people anywhere to be seen . Just those folks on the bridges wishing they were me. I feel that winter sailing is the best time of the year to sail.
Maybe some sailors in the Dallas area would like to have a meet and greet sometime soon.
I envy those get togethers. Have fun

Keep it up,
Ctskip

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
Other suggestions...

For those of us that live on the north side of the Susq, there are two other suggestions: The Rendesvous in Perryville (great burgers and crab cakes), or the Pier One in North East (very reasonable diversified menu).

Dec 4, 2006
Hunter 34 Havre de Grace
I'm only the instigator

I'll go along with what works best for whatever group develops.

How's that for decisiveness?

Shippy

Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 356 Harve de Grace
If I'm available, include me. If others are bringing their admirals, mine would love to attend. Tim