Chesapeake gunk holes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2011
Hunter H31 Kent Island Yacht Club
We are new to the Chesapeake and would like to start anchoring out on weekends. We sail out of Kent Island and would be looking for some
nice spots that we can try our hand at anchoring overnight. Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks
Mark and Jeanne & cooper (woof)
"Dream Too"

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
There are thousands of places you can go to, but the nearest are Wye Island, The Wye Rivers. Your draft the final say. Irish creek is beatifull to anchor in, but the channel on the charts is NOT there. I made it in okay, but I made it out w/4'9" draft only at high tide. There is a cruising guide to the Chesapeake Bay available.

cjfj

Oct 16, 2010
hunter H34 Mayo, MD
Hi Mark,
We like a small cove on the Rhode River, it's wide open but very sheltered at the same time. I think we talked at the HSB1 winter meeting look forward to seeing you out on the bay this spring

Jim & Clarissa

Mike B

Apr 15, 2007
Beneteau 43 Baltimore, MD
Too many places to mention but here's a few favorites. Corsica River off the Chester River, Tilghman Creek off the Miles across from the Wye, Broad Creek off the Magothy, Bodkin Creek off the Patapsco, Harness Creek off the South, Rhoade River and of course pick up a mooring ball in Annapolis Harbor.
Mike

Oct 3, 2008
Beneteau 393 Chesapeake Bay
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Also check out Active Captain

https://activecaptain.com/index.php

... and on the interactive cruising guide, select the green checkbox. That one will show you anchorages. Then you can read other people's comments and ratings (1 to 5 starr) about each anchorage. I've used this A LOT and found the info there to be the most useful. You can learn how good the holding ground is... how private it is.... can you get to shore for provisions or not.... etc. Great info.

Aug 21, 2006
Pearson 367 Alexandria, VA
Sep 23, 2009
Catalina 42 Mk II Fremantle, West Australia
Marina?

We are new to the Chesapeake and would like to start anchoring out on weekends. We sail out of Kent Island and would be looking for some
nice spots that we can try our hand at anchoring overnight. Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks
"Dream Too"
Are you in Mears Point? What dock?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 46 Georgetown YB
Ditto on Shellenberger.

The Queenstown Creek is an nice little anchorage very close to Kent Narrows.

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
Every creek has less popular coves, some unlabeled, that are worth exploring. That's gunk holing. If they are popular they're probably not gunk holes.

Example: there is a cove on the west bank of Harris Creek just south of Briary Creek, I think, split by a blind. No name, no people or noticeable houses on shore, and deeper inside than the approach suggests (treat the blind as a mark and stay 50 feet south).

Mostly I sail a bit further south than you, but there are some trip reports on my blog (link below, there is a "trip report" tab under post categories on the right) that might help.

Oct 9, 2008
Marine Trader Sedan Mystic, CT
We enjoyed a pleasant stay in Mill Creek off the Wicomico River just South of the Patomac entrance.

Feb 12, 2013
C&C 35 MKIII k/c Rock Creek, Chesapeake
Thanks
"Dream Too"

We like Worton Creek, Still Pond, Turner Creek on the Sassafras, Greys Inn Creek/ Cacaway {Langford Creek}/ Corsica- Chester River, Shaw Bay/Dividing Creek/GranaryCreek- Wye River, Santo Domingo Creek/ Dunn Cover - Choptank River,
Broad Creek- Magothy River, High Bar- Rhode Rover, Jubb Cover- Bodkin Creek- Patapsco River, Abredeen Creek- South River

Feb 26, 2013
J-Boat J30 Tampa
I miss sailing the Chesapeake Bay so much. I spent most my life sailing that bay, there are so very many places to sail and spend time. Someone mentioned the Rhode River, there is a great cove as mentioned to anchor and watch the crab boats and wild life on an early morning.

Feb 12, 2013
C&C 35 MKIII k/c Rock Creek, Chesapeake
I miss sailing the Chesapeake Bay so much. I spent most my life sailing that bay, there are so very many places to sail and spend time. Someone mentioned the Rhode River, there is a great cove as mentioned to anchor and watch the crab boats and wild life on an early morning.
Sheapard Cove near sunken High Island

Status
Not open for further replies.