Chesapeake Bay bound

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Thad

Coming from an unending winter on shore, The O'day 27, "Epiphany" Is nearly ready to go overboard. With such goodies as a new Longleaf yellow pine table, a new head that can go overboard, a new old growth Longleaf pine sole, and even better, a new core on deck, we are ready to cruise the Chesapeake for 6 weeks. As a wooden boat builder these are simple additions, but I went over board by getting Longleaf with growth rings so tight you can't count them. This is complemented by accents of dark red Hondoran Mahaghany saved from a long forgotten stash that was put away in the sixties. To make the new woodwork match the teak that was in "Epiphany", I applied 6 coats of spar varnish to everything. Each coat dried two days, and was sanded between with 150 grit paper. I used West Marine's skipper varnish, which I find indistinguishable from Z spar's Captain's varnish. The head I installed was Raritan's $300 model. It fits well, and when linked to a y valve and a 13 gallon holding tank, It's legal. After living onboard all of last summer with a portapotti, It was deemed neccesary to have a real head. The replacement coring was eastern white cedar planed to 1/4 inch, and glued with west system. The joints between the sections of deck were dished out with a grinded and bridged with 2 inch fiberglass tape. This was further faired with microballons in epoxy. It will be coated with a coat or two of buff paint. If there are any questions, feel free to e-mail me at tvangilder@capemaytech.com Thad Van Gilder "Epiphany"

Status
Not open for further replies.