Cherubini Hunter 33 Topping lift

Aug 14, 2022
Hunter 33 killingworth
i'm looking at a 33 and the topping lift (plastic coated stainless wire) appears to be a fixed length. Am I correct or am I just missing where the mast termination is?

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Yes - a fixed length but a little short with a sheave on the end. A line runs from the end of the boom up to the sheave and then back down to a fair lead and cam cleat, also on the end of the boom.

We replaced the wire with dyneema.

Aug 14, 2022
Hunter 33 killingworth
I'll look at that. Seems strange to me. Most topping lifts lead back to either the mast of the cockpit (an easy adjust)... My concern is that it clears the dodger frame which right now it seems it won't.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Mine is fixed at the mast head and has a section of line at the end of the cable that allows me to adjust the height as needed. Not perfect but I’ve found I’ve needed to adjust it maybe 2 times in the handful of years I’ve had it.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
On my boat it is best to take the tension out of the leech anytime the the main is being raised, lowered, reefed or un reefed.

It would probably be best to have the topping lift at least led to the base of the mast but I have lived with the arrangement I have for 20 years.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
My 1980 H33 has a halyard type line that fastens on the end of the boom, goes through a sheave at the mast top, and down to a cleat at the mast base. I have to loosen every time I hoist the main sail so that it does not affect sail shape. I do not know if this is original equipment but it works well for me. When reefing I can raise the boom with the topping lift while I pull in the reefing lines, all from the mast base.