Checking for damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 22, 2005
- - -
Hi, I am in the process of taking a second (closer) look at a 1977 O'day 25 foot...I noticed a couple areas of concern & would like someone with experience to look at the photos I will attach. Since I can only send one photo at a time - I will post this topic a couple of times. I am new to buying & will be new to sailing - so I appreciate any help you can give to me! Thanks, Karen

Jun 2, 2004
Oday 25 pittsburgh
Chain Plates

Karen, This is a picture of the chain plates. It looks like the Previous Owner (PO) had a leak and insted of removing tyhe fitting and rebedding, has surface applied caulking. This does not work. I think I may be pushing it but from the photo, it looks like the deck is soft around the chain plate. Am I right? r.w.landau

Jun 7, 2004
Coronado 35 Lake Grapevine, TX
Leaking Chain Plates

With that much caulk around the chainplate covers (which as RW stated, doesn't really stop the leaks), you probably have a situation where water has leaked into the bulkhead. If it's rotted the bulkhead at all, it should be replaced. Note, this is hard damage to see, without removing the chainplate to inspect for damage. I thought mine was fine for the 3 years I've had it, until the chainplate pulled loose from the rotted wood. The teak overlay covers the damage. If I were seriously looking at this boat, I would want to drop the mast, and pull the chainplates and inspect the bulkhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.