Checking for damage - better pic for message 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

karen

have I confused anyone yet...sorry! here is pic of side of hull???? thanks, karen

Jun 2, 2004
Oday 25 pittsburgh
This is your sink thru-hull

Can't se it well enough from the picture. Karen, this might be a great boat for the price. you have not revieled that yet. If the core is sound, the rebeding is just work. If it is soft core, that is a whole other situation. Where are you from? there are many boat-wise people here and they are from many areas. someone may even know the boat you are looking at. Yes, boat buying is tough if you want no work but a smart shopper can find a good deal and a sound boat. Again a couple hundred bucks paid to a surveyer could save you alot head ache and also reviel all the problems.( not all problems are bad. some are easy fixes. Some are not.) Best wishes in your search. r.w.landau

Aug 22, 2005
- - -
Checking for damage

The boat is priced at $5500 with room for negotiation. I will take your advice & get it surveyed - seems like a good idea for someone in my position. The boat is in Wilson, NY. karen

Jun 2, 2004
Oday 25 pittsburgh
Good Idea.

I hope your boat search goes well. If you can attend the survey, do so. It will be a learning experience. Ask questions about his findings and ask about possible repairs of the findings. Like you said, old boats have problems. Some of the problems need to be fixed others just lived with. Sorry about my lack of concern for spelling. I have been working since 5am. had to hit O'Day Owners before I went to bed. r.w.landau

Jun 7, 2004
Coronado 35 Lake Grapevine, TX
Thru Hull

That's definitely a thru-hull, and not damage. $5500 is not a "steal" price for that year and model. I bought my '76 for $6500, but that included a twin axle trailer. It also took some work and money to bring both the trailer and boat up to what I needed (we probably spent about $2500 pretty quickly, $1500 of it adding brakes to the trailer and doing some repairs). You would do well to pay a surveyor, and as RW has said, leave the deal of the deck is soft. You will definitely want the hardware rebedded, as that was done improperly. I'd also recommend (whether you buy that boat or not) that you buy Don Casey's "This Old Boat" book. Reading through repairs that can/should be done on older boats will give you a good idea of what to look for. Then, you can use the book AFTER you buy whatever boat you decide on.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday 25 pittsburgh
One more thought...

I do like the O'Day 25's I have owned two of them and am the current owner of a 79 model. r.w.landau

Status
Not open for further replies.