Cheasapeake Bay, Wing or Fin Keel

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob B.

My wife and I have placed an order for a Catalina 310. It hasn't gone into production yet. We ordered it with the wing keel, 4 ft draft. My racing friends are trying to convice me to go with the Fin Keel, 5'9" draft, because they say it will point better. We are buying this boat to cruise, and don't know if I will ever race it. If I go with the fin keel, how much better will the performance be? and more importantly to us, how much of the Chesapeake Bay will we lose with the extra draft? Any good cruising areas that really need the shallower draft?

G

Gordon Myers

Stay with a Fin Keel

If you are a die hard racing nut, then go with the fin keel. However if your primary interest is to cruse and gunk-hole the Chesapeake stay with the wing. There is a lot of in close in, back channles and slips that you wil loose in that 2'. Your talking about a 50% increase in draft. Six inches more draft than my 45' boat. The difference in performance is only noticed by the pros. It's like buying the same golf clubs that Tiger Woods uses. Do you think the clubs could make you a great golfer?

J

Jane

Wing Keel

I love cruising the Bay. And I often find mysef in less than 6ft. of water. You will miss out on a lot if you require 6 ft. It would be tricky making it thru Knapps Narrows (Choptank side drops to 5' 2"), Channel at Herring Bay is less than 6ft at times. Reed Creek off the Chester River is a beautiful spot but getting in is pretty tricky, very narrow and very shallow. Congratulations on the new boat. Jane "Echo" Hunter 29.5

B

Bill Schaare

absolutely wing

you will miss too much of the chesapeake with a fin bohemia river, choptank, etc... the bay is not known for lots of water. I'm likely to buy a 310 in a year or so, see you out there Luvin Life...

S

Scott Laird

Wing Keel

Go with the wing keel - even then, you'll probably run aground exploring the Chesapeake. There are three kinds of sailors on the Bay; those who have run aground, those who are about to run aground, and those who lie about running aground. I guess a fourth could be added; those who don't go anywhere. Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.