Chartering - BVI, St. Martin or Antigua?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob O'Brien

Now that most of my summer cruising is completed, my crew is asking where we are going to charter a boat next winter. We have done the BVI the past 3 years, but are in the mood to try some place new. Has anyone cruised St. Martin/St. Barts/Anguilla or Antigua? Are we making a mistake leaving the good old BVIs for some place new? Thinking back to my bar conversations in the BVIs, I talked to a lot of people who have been to the BVI's 6 or 7 times but St. Martin only once. Thoughts? Also, recommendations on charter companies in St. Martin or Antigua would be appreciated.

W

Wayne Estabrooks

St. Martin Charter Adventure

Bob, In May, we chartered in St. Martin. and it was definitely more challenging than the BVI's. There are 3 charter companies based at Oyster Pond on the windward side of St. Martin, Sunsail, The Moorings and Stardust. The harbor is very protected. Coming out of the harbor for the first time into big wave wind and swells is an experience. We had only 1 week but had a great time. We Chartered a 2000 Beneteau 411 from Sunsail and our friends got a Centurion 37 from Stardust. There are less moorings so more anchoring compared to the BVI's and sometimes we rolled with swells in the anchorages. We sailed to St. Barts, and Saba. Columbaire at St. Barts is a beautiful anchorage and we had a nice hike to Flamandes and we enjoyed dinner at a nice hotel restaurant on the beach.We sailed toward St. Eustatius and then back to Gustavia the Capitol of St. Barts. We enjoyed Gustavia but again had a rough anchorage as all the anchoring spots in the more protected areas were taken. Saba is about a 30 mile sail from St. Barts and we stayed on a mooring on the west side of Saba at Ladder Bay just south of Wells bay near Diamond Rock. During the night the winds howled and shifted from north to south due to the effect of the high mountainous island and the current was strong. The mooring ball beat against the hull several times when the wind and current were opposite. The rolling from the swells, kept us and our friends on another boat awake most of the night. When we tried to dingy ashore we thought we would go to Fort Bay where the Inter-Island ferry docks but the as we rounded or attempted to round the point the waves and swells and wind was too challenging for our friends that first attempted it. The alternative is to put ashore at Wells Bay and walk the steep winding mountain road or climb the 1000 steps up the side of the mountain at Ladder Bay. Saba is a beautiful island and the people are very friendly and helpful. When we left Saba, we motored around the South side into the big waves and swells. Our friends boat dissapeared and reappeared as it dipped in the big swells. The sail back to St. Martin was a reach most of the way at 7 knots. The most peaceful anchorage was when we sailed back to St. Martin and anchored at Marigot, behind a stone breakwater. At Marigot we enjoyed the restaurants and hiking up to see the fort on the hill overlooking the harbor. It was an enjoyable adventure!

B

BW

St Martin

I did not sail in St Martin, but have vacationed there. Great beaches and good food (on the French side). If you go there, the best places to eat are in Grand Case. There is a bay there that many boats anchored at each night. If you like Italian food try Sabastianos in Grand Case. Outstanding. There is a well protected harbor and marina at a resort called Le Meridian. It looked like good facilities, and a nice place to stay if you want a night or two on shore. The best beach was Orient beach. One note.... the beaches on the French side are all topless and some are clothing optional. Some people are skiddish about that, so I always give fair warning. If you want more information about the island, you can email me at bwehmer@columbus.rr.com

D

Dakota Jim Russell

St Martin/St. Barts or Martinique/St. Lucia

I've chartered St Martin/St. Barts twice, Martinique/St. Lucia once, and Grenada/Tobago Cays and northward three times. The BVIs are by far the easiest. The other areas are, however, more rewarding. Pick the time of the year. First quarter is fine in Grenada, March/April will be better for St. Martin/St. Barts, in my humble opinion. Food is better in St. Martin and Martinique. Golf better in Martinique. But the sailing . . . ah, my favorite is Grenada north to Bequia. A little heavy but very rewarding. In all the above cases, my wife and I took a Moorings 40 out alone . . . . and had a great time. Email me if you want more info. Jim

R

Roland

St. Martin/Barts vs. BVIs

I have to agree with the previous responses. Last year in june we sailed out of St.Martin to Gustavia in St. Bart's. On the way there and back we spent the evening in quiet, fairly deserted anchorages where we could dingy to shore and explore. Spent two days in Gustavia and rented a jeep for a day to explore that beautiful island. Southeast winds 20-25 kts.all week. Fantastic sailing, but could be a bit challenging for those who area not very experienced in mostly open waters. all week saw, maybe, a dozen charter boats. St. Martin and St. Maarten,( the Dutch side)are fairly developed but didn't spend much time ashore there. Can't wait to go back to St. Bart's.. This past June we sailed out of Roadtown, Tortola in the BVIs. Quieter, more protected waters, shorter sailing time between anchorages (moorings), hundreds of charter boats, lots of bars, every night a new island - new bar (check your inhibitions at customs - especially if going to the Willy T or Foxy's ). A ton of fun, but a totally different experience. Would also like to go back there someday. For next year we're thinking of Martinique or Belize. Thoughts on those places from anyone who has been there? You don't say which company you chartered with, but here's my two cents(??), well, maybe one cent's, worth. I have been in the charter business for about a dozen years as a charter skipper with a couple of mom and pop operations here in Florida. Basically, but not always, you are going to pretty much get what you pay for. A good friend and fellow skipper works for the Moorings ( which is how we get to take these trips on our very limited budgets). I was quite impressed by their operations in both locations mentioned above. They are pricey, though. Other vacationing sailors I talked with who had gone with other charter companies were also pleased with their chooices. There were also those who were not pleased with the Moorings or any other company they chartered with. If you like the company you are presently chartering with, my recommendation would be to stick with them. Repeat business usually will net the best prices/boats/services a company has to offer. This is one VERY competitive business. Hope this has been of some help. -Roland -S/V Fraulein II

Status
Not open for further replies.