Charging off the motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rob Burton

I have a 6HP Evinrude model with alternator/charger. The cable that connects to the thru hull is corroded. Where can I get a replacement cable and through hull fitting?

D

dan

Make your own CABLE !

Hi Rob...... You can make your own(4AWG)cable with bulk cable and connectors from an auto parts store. Smash the connectors on with a shop vise. Protect the connections from corrosion with liquid electrical tape. Get a new thru-hull fitting at your nearest marine supplier. Most depth sounders have a volt meter so you can check charge rate and battery voltage at storage. My Humminbird 300TX works great for this. Check the amps out specs on your motor. At 10 amps you can charge a 80 amp hour battery in about 4 hours running time at 50% charge (12.2volts). happy battery charging......dan

R

Rob Burton

Thanks

Thanks Dan, After walkiing through Boat US, West Marine and talking with sales reps I think that's the best idea. I'm sure I can come up with a connector setup that will work easier than hunting down the %#$@ parts! I like the idea of hooking up the fishfinder too. I may just take mine off my starcraft and install it on my sailboat. Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.