Chapman School

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Threlkeld

My wife and I own a Hunter 28.5 on the west coast and are planning to sell it, move to Florida, and buy a bigger Hunter. I am thinking of attending the 3-month Professional Mariner Course at the Chapman School of Seamanship in Stuart, Florida. Anybody have any comments/experience with this school?

J

jon

long courses

before signing up on a chapman's course - find out about a royal yachting course on the south coast of britain. 3 onths from start to ocean yachtmaster certificate (except the cross-atlantic voyage which you can do later). the course is conducted near cowes which is the mecca of sailing, home of the royal yacht squadron, etc., etc. one of the schools - two that i know of there - has princess anne as patron so i hope this serves as a pretty good reference. seeing that you mean business as it were! the schools are on the good old british tidal south coast and will stand you in good stead for wide experience for the future. do not always expect the clearest of weather every day early on in the year - but this always best for experience later in your sailing 'career'. - two hours by train to london. the r.y.a. courses are recognized by the government and controlled by such to meet the similar standards set by the coast guard here in the u.s. in fact the last twelve months the coast guard here has taken steps to recognize the r.y.a. qualifications. most of the younger graduates take their first payed jobs with charter companies around the virgin islands as skippers where there is no problem with green cards, etc. the yachting world has adverts of the schools and the royal yachting association can be contacted through its web site. the courses are called 'fast track'. hope the above will prove of some use. - i know as someone who is, at last, ready to take sailing pretty seriously having done a fair lot previously, i am seriously considering taking the course. in britain the expense is allowable against taxable income. jon. p.s. if you want to have accomodations better than the schools can offer - which are pretty good anyway - if you attend earlier in the year, appartment rentals, etc. are pretty reasonable in the area. pps. good to make short sails across to the channel isles - and west coast of france.

J

Joseph Acquaviva

This past March I atended Chapman's 7 day ASA sailing school from Stuart to the Grand Bahamas. The instruction was excellent; however, the accomodations are very basic. More like a colleege dorm room rather than a hotel room. The area around Stuart is wonderful and thee are plenty of things to do when you're not studying. Good luck to you. Jay

G

Gator

Professional Mariner Training

I attended the PMT course at Chapmans and highly recomend it. Whether you want to get into the profession or for your own personal knowledge this is great way to do it. As I am sure you know if you have received info from Chapmans it's not cheap. The course is very demanding and you really have no time for anything else. I studied several hours a night and the weekends. But just like anything else in life you get out of it what you put into it. It covers a wide range of topics with instruction conducted by experienced professional instructors. It's not geared toward sailing it is geared to all areas of the marine profession. You do have time on sail boats but it is basic sailing. You get a lot of practice at close quarter boat handleing and docking with boats ranging in size from 28 ft single screw sail and power to 45 ft. twin screw. I have found that the course increased not only my knowledge but my cofindence in the skills which I already had, confirming that I was doing a lot of things correctly and safely that I had learned on my own. During this PMT course you must take and pass all of the USCG exams (and a lot of others) so that if you have your sea time and other necessary qualifications you can get your CPTs ticket without taking another test at the Coast Guard testing center. I also highly recomend the Off Shore Training Voyage. This is really a great deal in that not only do you get about a week in the Bahamas, your get your choice of two ASA certifications for the price of the trip. The cost includes everything including your food and lodging. (you live on the boat) a 40 ft. Endeavor. The Capt. that normally does this trip is and excellent instructor and really congenial person, Rick Nielson. Best of Luck, Gator

Status
Not open for further replies.