Changing Toilets

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill Jones

I am considering changing the aft toilet from the standard Jabsco to the larger size. The fittings are all the same, the bowl is larger. My concern is how much space it will take up in the head. Has anyone made this change? If so, how adversely did it affect head space. Thanks

E

Ed Schenck

One thought.

Only because I recently experienced a bit of a surprise. After many measurements the new head did not fit as I had expected. So I wonder if BoatUS/West Marine/et al would allow a return if it did not please you? They are not very heavy nor bulky for a trial fit(unless your rail is twelve feet above pavement as mine was!).

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

The front-back dimension is the biggest difference

between the "standard" and "highboy" size bowls on just about every toilet. There's only about an inch total difference in widths of the bowls, but depending upon the pump, the total difference in the width of full size vs. a compact toilet can vary from only an inch or so to several inches. What most people fail to take into account when they measure is that the discharge hole---and therefore the mounting bolts--in both size bowls is dead center in the bowl, which means you need additional space behind the bowl for half the difference in the length of the two bowls. If the one you have now is jammed up again the wall, the larger one isn't gonna fit unless you move the whole toilet forward. Even if that puts the front of it over the edge of any platform it sits on, that's not a big deal to overcome. Fill the existing bolt holes, put down a nice 3/4" teak or mahogany board that not only covers the old holes, but extends the platform far enough forward and mount the new toilet on top of it. Screw the board down, do NOT use epoxy or anything permanent....the next toilet's bolt hole pattern may not match your new toilet's either, in which case you solve that problem by replacing the board. So you don't want to put it down permanently. You can seal the edges with silicone sealant to keep moisture out.

J

Jim Vincent

40.5 aft toilet

hey Bill, i have a '93 40.5 with a oversize jabsco. I've done what your proposing. it works great but you will have to cut a small slot in the back wall. the main reason for that is because the forward door won't close with out backing up the bowl "just-a-bit". i'm leaving town today but if you'd like, i can take digital photos monday and e-mail them to you. take care, Jim, Toucan (i'm in the HOW directory)

J

Jim Vincent

40.5 add'l. aft toilet info

bill, ....also a standard household lid fits that new bowl and is a lot cheaper from any home improvement store. take care, Jim, Toucan

J

jim oursler

heads and toilets

After 6 sailboats and 7 heads, I have said nix to Jabsco or anything else with a straight up and down pull plunger. Instead, go with a lever like blake, raritan ph II, skipper or imperial. Much , much easier for kids and women to flush. Every old boat has needed a new head. In one of them I got cheap and bought a Jabsco first.. later changed it to PHII. As for toilets.. only have them in the house so can't comment on suitability for boats.. just kiddin.. .

Status
Not open for further replies.