changing the color of the hull and deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdanza

Sep 30, 2009
Catalina 22 Visalia, Ca
I have a 1970 Cat 22 and the hull is blue - the deck is white. There are surface cracks in both hull and deck, as one would expect. I love this boat, but always thought that if ever got one, it would be a nice kelly green hull and honey-to-spanish oak deck with white trim on the top and waterline. Some of you sailors are purests, and your opinions help shape mine, but I have no sence of history with the boat and the Catalina culture. I don't want to look like I have dis'd the legacy.
After taking posssesion of the vessel this summer, I wet sanded (1200 grit) the hull, lovingly rubbed it and waxed it, but while this brought back the sparkle, it did nothing to fill in the pits and little cracks. Lots of pinholes at the water line and a few chips in the gellcoat. I read some old links about gellcoat vs paint, and while many have opinions about one over the other, no one mentioned changing colors. The skin needs some attention either way, and I would like to repair the surface damage, and, maybe change the color to the one I sail in my dreams. I so far only lake sail, and have the boat on a trailer, but may one day drag it to the bay and play out there.
Vintage is cool, resale isn't as important (to me) as contentment and enjoyment, but I don't really want sailors to snicker or talk trash about my boat and sence of style. Also think I want to put some sort of hatch on the bow, but it needs to look like it belongs there. Also, I want to do as much of the work myself, as it is more fun than therapy. What do you guys think?

Dec 12, 2006
- - panama city, fl.
Well I have a Hunter 22 so not sure if other Cat 22 owners would agree, but I had to paint the top deck sometime back and kept it white but used a light gray on the nonskid areas. I liked it and have had many positive coments on it. I saw a Hunter that had the hull painted navy blue and will do that to mine next time I haul it out. I have seen a burgandy red Cat 22 and it looked beautiful.
It made my boat look new again which is nice.
I guess in the end it is what makes you happy and you said resale is not important.

Good Luck,

Scott

igor

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 Baltimore
Relating to the subject of this thread: I have a 1980 Catalina 30, with a white hull... I would LOVE to paint the hull navy blue.... I have heard rumors that it will "shrink" the hull in the heat of the sun, and make the interior much hotter. Is there any truth to this? Has anyone had experience changing their hull color entirely? Any ideas/hints/photos? Thanks!

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Igor
I've heard the same stories. However, have never experienced any issues with ours which was a white hull out of the factory in 94 and Awlgripped in 2004. To date, no print through evident, no shrinkage, no extraneous curing of the FRP, no noticeable interior ambient temp difference, just a dark green hull we think looks pretty good even after 10 years with minimal maintenance.
If you are interested, you can check the pictures in the link below my signature line

igor

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 Baltimore
Don - thank you so much - the pictures look fantastic... I am looking forward to this project!:):dance:

igor

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 Baltimore
Has anyone out there actually seen a dark hull Catalina 30'? I have searched all over the internet for pictures of them, but have yet to ever find one... Thinking of royal blue for topside and caribbean green for bottom ...

Jun 8, 2009
2 30 Tall Rig Muskegon
Has anyone out there actually seen a dark hull Catalina 30'? I have searched all over the internet for pictures of them, but have yet to ever find one... Thinking of royal blue for topside and caribbean green for bottom ...
You mean like this? Here's my 1983 Catalina 30 BSTR. With awlgrip hull. My brother owned it before me and had the it painted around 1999 after some storm damage at the docks.

Let me know if you want more pics. I have a bunch on another computer.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2009
Catalina 30 Mark I Stockton, Mo
Dark Colors Hot!

I had a Catalina 25 that had a navy blue hull, and it really warmed up in the morning sun. It made it kind of hard to sleep when it got warmed up. My new (to me) Catalina 30 has a white hull, and I have no plans to change it. I think it will make it more comfortable in the mornings.

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
Bottom line, it's your boat, and there is no shortage of C22s out there so the purists won't see the sun go out if you do change it. Truthfully, with over 15,000 of them around, some flavor other than vanilla would do the universe some good. My wife wants to repaint our C27 another color, any color. As a professional cake decorator she can't stand a plain white wedding cake.

Oct 20, 2008
- Catalina 22 Parris Island, SC
Don, I love the pictures of your boat. The green hull is beautiful. I am definitely going to look into this type of paint job. However, I want a Navy hull with a small gold stripe at the top.... my daughter is at NAPS in Newport and getting ready to head to Annapolis (hence the blue & gold). Any tips or advice on the paint or process would be greatly appreciated.

Lynn

Status
Not open for further replies.