Changing Hull Stripe color

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2012
Beneteau 361 San Diego
I'm a new owner of a 2002 Beneteau 361 and want to change the hull stripes to Navy Blue from Green. Has anyone used a vinyl stripe to cover the factory painted stripe near the waterline? I would prefer using vinyl vs. having to pay to repaint the stripe. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks.

Last edited:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
the factory stripe is actually gelcoat, not paint. No worrys about peeling the paint off with a tape stripe. I have used vinyl tape as boot striping on a power boat and it was not a problem. The main thingis to make sure that the surface is thoroughly cleaned. I have used acetone, but its nasty stuff. The tape is available in multiple colors and widths. probably from this site or Worst Marine.

Apr 29, 2012
Beneteau 361 San Diego
Thanks for you info but..What did you mean by peeling the paint off with a "tape stripe"? Thanks

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
clarification, if the stripe was originally painted on, instead of molded in as part of the manufacturing process, there would be a concern if one were ever to peel off the tape stripe. Not a problem with the gel coat. Now that I think about it, my 323 has the green stripe molded in, and also has a secondary silver stripe which is in fact tape. It has survived five seasons.I only lost about five inches of it on one sidewhere a hoisting sling abraded it. I spliced in a short piece and it is invisible.What I used was a high quality 3M product. I suspectthat if it had been applied over paint, that the adhesive would have peeled the paint.

Jun 7, 2011
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Marmong Cove, Australia
Hi Skywalker

Just recently had me 361 out of the water for work on the hull and boot stripe replacement as it was passed its use by date. I rubbed it back with wet and dry, gave it two coats of 2 pack primer then two coats of 2 pack enamel while sanding between all coats. piece of cake and I am not a painter, I took this option due to the hardness of finish over vinyl.

Attachments

Nov 23, 2009
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Clipper --
Hi Skywalker

Just recently had me 361 out of the water for work on the hull and boot stripe replacement as it was passed its use by date. I rubbed it back with wet and dry, gave it two coats of 2 pack primer then two coats of 2 pack enamel while sanding between all coats. piece of cake and I am not a painter, I took this option due to the hardness of finish over vinyl.
Did you use a spray gun (or whatever is called), a brush or a roller? I am planning to do the same in the next winter.

Sep 24, 2006
Sabre 36 Express Chattanooga, TN
I did the same thing 6 years ago

Skywalker,
Six years ago, I converted my B361 from green to navy blue. While the boat was out for bottom paint, I had the yard paint over the green waterline getcoat with a 2-part epoxy paint. They did a BEAUTIFUL job and charged me about $400. Then, I bought rolls of navy blue vinyl tape (1/4 inch and 3/4 inch I think) and taped over all the green tape on the hull and "doghouse." I also removed the "Beneteau 361" green lettering from both sides of the hull and the "B" logo on the transom. I had to buff pretty hard for the "shadow" of these logos to disappear. I then had a canvas shop to make all new canvas out of "Captain Navy Sunbrella Supreme" which has a "linen" colored flocking on the underside. This lightened up the cockpit considerably over the old green/green canvas.
The end result was outstanding. I can send you some photos if you'd like.
Agaliha

Apr 29, 2012
Beneteau 361 San Diego
Skywalker,
Six years ago, I converted my B361 from green to navy blue. While the boat was out for bottom paint, I had the yard paint over the green waterline getcoat with a 2-part epoxy paint. They did a BEAUTIFUL job and charged me about $400. Then, I bought rolls of navy blue vinyl tape (1/4 inch and 3/4 inch I think) and taped over all the green tape on the hull and "doghouse." I also removed the "Beneteau 361" green lettering from both sides of the hull and the "B" logo on the transom. I had to buff pretty hard for the "shadow" of these logos to disappear. I then had a canvas shop to make all new canvas out of "Captain Navy Sunbrella Supreme" which has a "linen" colored flocking on the underside. This lightened up the cockpit considerably over the old green/green canvas.
Agaliha
That is exactly what I want to do. Yes, please send pics of your finished work.

Nov 23, 2009
Skywalker,
Agaliha
Do you mind sending me those photos too? Either post them here (so everybody could admire your boat) or I could send you an email.
Thanks

Jun 7, 2011
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Marmong Cove, Australia
Did you use a spray gun (or whatever is called), a brush or a roller? I am planning to do the same in the next winter.

Hi Philip

I painted the boot line with a brush and an ordinary one at that, I just slapped it on then tipped it off and am pleased with the result. In total it took me 4 hours to complete from start tot finish including masking around the old one and wet sanding so approx 1 hour per coat x 4 coats. It will well out last vinyl as the two pack sets hard and will not suffer from fade or wear like vinyl.

Sep 24, 2006
Sabre 36 Express Chattanooga, TN
Photos of "Blue Trim"

I will attempt to post some photos, as requested. Someday, I'll master this techno stuff.:)
When I saw the photos, it reminded me that I forgot to mention that I ordered a "new" silver Beneteau logo from the factory to put on the transom in place of the green "B" logo which they no longer use. When I ordered a new mainsail, I also had the new logo affixed instead of the old "B" logo. I'm very pleased with the result.

Attachments

Apr 29, 2012
Beneteau 361 San Diego
I will attempt to post some photos, as requested. Someday, I'll master this techno stuff.:)
When I saw the photos, it reminded me that I forgot to mention that I ordered a "new" silver Beneteau logo from the factory to put on the transom in place of the green "B" logo which they no longer use. When I ordered a new mainsail, I also had the new logo affixed instead of the old "B" logo. I'm very pleased with the result.
Beautiful boat! Great job on the striping. I really like the blue. Thanks for posting.

Nov 23, 2009
EXCELLENT. Very beautiful boat and great job. I think I need to sort out a few things on my boat now...

Oct 23, 2008
Bénéteau 331 Bayonne
B331 trim color change...

agaliha said:
Skywalker,
Six years ago, I converted my B361 from green to navy blue. While the boat was out for bottom paint, I had the yard paint over the green waterline getcoat with a 2-part epoxy paint. They did a BEAUTIFUL job and charged me about $400. Then, I bought...
Agaliha
I also did the same switch on my 2002 B331...
I wanted to tape for the same reasons... Persuaded not to because the boot changes width substantially fore & aft.
It was my first time but it came out really nice!

For the boot stripe I used Interlux Brightside (2 coats) and removed ALL the other vinyl on the boat using Star 10 stripper (what a time saver !) especially on the narrow silver tape above the boot.. I had a local autobody guy use "3M fine line" tape above & below the existing boot then added blue tape & paper to that. A scotchbrite pad was enough to scuff the paint (it's not gelcoat) a good wiping with Interlux solvent then I applied the paint (with the maximum allowed brushing liquid added) horizontally in 24" sections then tipped it out with a VERY GOOD natural brush in vertical strokes. The result SHINES, and although you can see a slight wavy pattern from the vert tipping out most people never notice. When i did the job the temp was in the mid 80"s and i just could barley keep up before I lost my wet edge. That said... even I'm happy, but only a pro could have kept the required "wet edge" & for a horiz tipping. I had the same auto guy come back after the boat was compounded out to apply new vinyl tape & name in Captains Blue. I also left off the deckhouse stripes, 331 logo and all the silver stripes only replacing the moulded in hull stripe.
Yes all new Sunbrella as well.

But what a difference !!! With SeaHawk bioCop TF DARK blue on the bottom it was like a brand new boat !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.