Change lens on Lewmar hatch

John R

Oct 9, 2012
Catalina 36 Emeryville
The lenses (I think that's what you'd call them) on my Lewmar hatches are badly crazed and one of them is actually broken. There's a place near me which will make up new ones if I bring the old one to them (removed from the hatch). I was trying to figure out how to remove them. It can't be done from below. From what I can see, I have to remove the gasket or caulking or whatever it is from above. Is that right? Here's a picture of one of them.

Attachments

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
that lens is just set in Dow 795 and that makes the gasket and bonding for the lens all in one ...to get it out take a razor knife and cut all the way around it .....then from the under side take a knife and cut there ...then start working around till you get it out or use a windshield removal tool ...its a l shaped knife designed for doing this sort of thing ...or you can take the hatch apart and carry it to the glass guy and have him replace it

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
Contact Lewmar

You can contact the customer service/support on the Lewmar web site and ask them about taking the hatch apart and how reorder replacement lenses.
You will have to know what model and size of the hatch and they will need a model &/or serial number. There should be a serial number on the edge of each hatch acrylic lens, stamped into the acrylic itself, sometimes near the handle, you might have to pull back the gasket a bit to see it.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Lewmar designed these hatches so the lens can be easily removed from the hatch frame(part attached to boat). There is a hinge pin that can be slid out from one side to the other. You also need to remove the 2 Phillips screws holding the friction hinge.

Also, Lewmar sells replacement lenses. Check the price as they may be cheaper than the replacement of just the acrylic.

I was able to get cheaper replacements from Port Supply.

Mulf

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 410 Chester, MD (Kent Island)
Lewmar Hatches

I did four of my hatches last spring. Got the new lenses, new gasket, and good instructions from Select Plastics in Connecticut. They were great to work with. Even converted the two lenses that had glued on handles to add holes and provide bolt on handles like the bigger hatches, and new gaskets for under the plastic parts. I will try to attach the instruction files onto this email. If it doesn't work email me at mulf at live dot com.

Should have added that I found that soaking all aluminum joints with PB blaster to free up accumulated salt and grime to be a big help. Also soak the pins that come into view as you pull apart. Actually used a rubber mallet and a scrap block of starboard to get the parts moving apart. The first one was the hardest, the fourth was easy. The smaller hatches had a slightly different roll pin that took a little investigation to figure out how it came apart. Also, be very careful to watch how each part is positioned as you take it apart, so you can put it back the same way. Finally, the Lens Code is actually under the rubber gasket, near where the arrow points, and you have to roll the gasket back to find it. That is the Lewmar code for that exact size lens.

Attachments