Chainplate Knees

Sep 29, 2016
Lord Nelson Lord Nelson 35 3 Full time cruiser
This is by far the worst job I have ever done on my boat. We had to cut out and replace all of our chainplate knees except for the aft lowers due to water intrusion and rot. Here you can see the starboard cap shroud knee and how wet the core was. You could push it with your finger and water would come out.

0427181328.jpg

Careful measurements were taken and sketches made of all the knees placement before they were cut out. Their orientation was also marked with pencil on the headliner so the new knee could be placed in the exact same position.

0502181557.jpg

After the chainplates were removed I used a bimetal saw blade on an oscillating multi tool to cut through the tabbing and remove the bad knees.

0508181359.jpg

Then the hard part... Days of miserable grinding inside the boat to remove the old tabbing. I have found that 36 grit zirconia flap discs (changed often) on an angle grinder are about the best thing for grinding through fiberglass. I also put up plastic sheeting in an attempt to contain the dust but this was a complete waste of time because the dust found its way behind it anyway. It looked like a blizzard hit inside the boat.

0523181336.jpg

I measured how far out from the hull each knee protruded and then ground away the same distance on each side.

0524181329.jpg

After seemingly endless vacuuming and cleaning, new knees were made using 1/2" baltic birch marine ply for the cap shrouds and 3/4" teak faced marine ply (to mach the bulkheads) for the forward lowers knees. All were encapsulated in epoxy.

0529181301.jpg

A spacer fillet of xps foam was made to space the knees from the hull to avoid any "hard spots" and glued in place.

0602181225a.jpg

Then the new knees were put in place and temporarily held by wooden shims.

0602181225b.jpg

Craft paper was then used to make a template for cutting what would be the new fiberglass tabbing. The tabbing was to be made of 12 layers of 1708 biaxial mat each 1 inch smaller (width wise) than the one laid below it. This is to spread the load from the rigging over a greater section of the hull to which it is bonded.

0602181506.jpg

The template was then used to cut the fiberglass cloth for the new tabbing. The orientation of the cloth was alternated to create the strongest layup possible.
0603181323.jpg

It seems I have reached the attachment limit so this will be continued in the comments....

Sep 29, 2016
After all the tabbing was cut it was wet out and carefully rolled into place with a finned roller to remove any air before tabbing the new knees to the hull.
0605181034.jpg

0611181415.jpg

Everything was then faired and painted before the new chainplates were installed.

0615181410.jpg

0626181350.jpg

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Good Lord! What a job! You will definitely have excellent rigging connections! Bet you don't want a repeat of that job... How long do you expect to keep that boat?

dj

Sep 29, 2016
Good Lord! What a job! You will definitely have excellent rigging connections! Bet you don't want a repeat of that job... How long do you expect to keep that boat?

dj
Haha no I don't ever want to do that again. I have gotten frustrated with this boat several times and went and looked at other boats but I always come back to let's just fix this one.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Haha no I don't ever want to do that again. I have gotten frustrated with this boat several times and went and looked at other boats but I always come back to let's just fix this one.
Hunter 37C is a nice boat... I can see why you keep coming back... LOL

dj