Chain stopper question.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Can a chain stopper be used like a ratcheting mechanism to prevent the anchor chain from slipping backwards when hauling it up by hand for example, if you have no windlass and manually haul in your anchor/chain?

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sure. Depends on the design how practical it will be.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Sure. Depends on the design how practical it will be.
Thank you. Im thinking of getting Lewmars. It looks well made and beefy although i have not ever seen or used one in person.

My boat never had a windlass and im not sure if/when i might install one. The previous owner had removed the old chain stopper before i bought the boat so want to add one back in. I will be manually anchoring with a fairly heavy anchor so would be nice if i could use it to help hauling up the last bit of anchor and chain when it comes off the bottom.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That looks substantial. I would think it will work for your proposed plan. Before installing it on the boat, you might attach it to a board and test the application pulling chain through it.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Can a chain stopper be used like a ratcheting mechanism to prevent the anchor chain from slipping backwards when hauling it up by hand for example, if you have no windlass and manually haul in your anchor/chain?
Yes, if you have an all chain rode. It also serves to take the load off the windlass. Unfortunately I have experience to support this practice, it works however your back will complain mightily.

Marinepartdepot.com has anchor stoppers at a very competitive price. These are the same as the Lewmar branded ones.