Chain Plate leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 7, 2007
- - Oyster Bay, NY
Looks like I have a leak in my chain plate. Two questions:
1. Anyone have the steps to reseal.
2. Have some staining in the bulk head wood. How do you refinished wood to get rid of stains.

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
I had this issue from the PO. Even though they said it was fixed I ended up having to reseal. You have to pull the plate / fittings on the deck, clean and apply your sealant of choice. I used 4000, other like the tape that I have switched to for my stanchions. I am told to glear the stain you bleach out the teak as you would external teak and refinish, but I have not had much luck. It got lighter but is still there. I look forward to others responces also.

Attachments

frosty

Sep 25, 2009
Catalina 310 Pittwater
I have the same problem on my 2000 model.
Some questions.
Is the "4000" 3M 4000 ?
Do you have more details on the tape to use?

Sep 6, 2011
Frosty, I don't have a Catalina but the process is pretty much the same for most boats. Pull the chainplate, check the core for any wetness (the wood between the fiberglass, if there is any wet wood or rot let it dry completely, scrape any rot out, add not thickened epoxy to the good dry wood, the fill any void with thickened epoxy and chopped mat. If no void just seal the core with epoxy to protect it from rot down the road. Butyl tape is recommended for any secured hardware (link below), or polysulfide (Lifecaulk), or 3m 4000. ( no silicone!)

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/butyl_tape. Where to buy the good stuff
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/rebedding_hardware. The how to article

You can read more in this forum under Musings with MaineSail. SC

Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
Frosty, I don't have a Catalina but the process is pretty much the same for most boats. Pull the chainplate, check the core for any wetness (the wood between the fiberglass, if there is any wet wood or rot let it dry completely, scrape any rot out, add not thickened epoxy to the good dry wood, the fill any void with thickened epoxy and chopped mat. If no void just seal the core with epoxy to protect it from rot down the road. Butyl tape is recommended for any secured hardware (link below), or polysulfide (Lifecaulk), or 3m 4000. ( no silicone!)

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/butyl_tape. Where to buy the good stuff
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/rebedding_hardware. The how to article

You can read more in this forum under Musings with MaineSail. SC
Loved this article. He never does address if it is suggested for chainplates. I am fixing a leaking chainplate and deck drains on my 1984 Hunter 27 and am thinking about taking back my 4200 and using butyl tape. The deck drains are already tapered. What about thru hulls?? Butyl tape a good application here? Or is it more for fixed items that tend to have pressure on them like stanchions and cleats???

Sep 6, 2011
Bigjer40 said:
Loved this article. He never does address if it is suggested for chainplates. I am fixing a leaking chainplate and deck drains on my 1984 Hunter 27 and am thinking about taking back my 4200 and using butyl tape. The deck drains are already tapered. What about thru hulls?? Butyl tape a good application here? Or is it more for fixed items that tend to have pressure on them like stanchions and cleats???
Bigjer,

I am not sure if you mean below the waterline or not. I have not used it underwater and do not know if that is appropriate but MaineSail certainly would. On deck however I am rebedding everything including chainplates. Those that are done are sealed so far. (took a break for winter such that it was) As I understand it butyl tape is great for stressed parts because it stays soft and flexes. It will be used on stanchions and cleats on my boat for sure. When I get there is the only question. The rule of thumb I use for butyl is if it's above the waterline and screws to the deck I use it. Butyl isn't an adhesive like 4200. I've been going around pulling deck hardware, sealing the core with epoxy and re-drilling then sealing with butyl. My goal is to never see core rot again on this boat. :) Thankfully a p/o had done this as well and I've found very few problems. SC

Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
Yep, only above water line. My question is large 1" deck drains and above the water line thru hulls? Butyl vs 4200???? I am leaning toward 4200 cuz I don't see much movement out of either fitting.

Sep 6, 2011
Do the through hulls secure to the deck? (screwed down) or do they need adhesive? You'll be rebedding the 4200 long before the butyl assuming both are done correctly. Drop MaineSail a PM and ask. I'm sure he fields these sort of questions regularly.
SC

Status
Not open for further replies.