Chaffing Hot Water Heater Line - Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John

Over the Memorial Day weekend we were on a five-day outing. On day three I was looking over the engine and became curious about the way the engine waterheater lines (two) were secured to the alternator mount. They were secured with an electrical tie that pulled the lines tight up against the alternator mount. I pulled the hot water lines away to check them and noticed one had nearly chaffed clear through. The engine only had 40 hours on it. I cut the eletrical tie off and duct taped the chaffed line in an attempt to prevent failure. I padded the lines and resecured them to the alternator mount, but this time with padding between the lines and the mount. We made it back home (about 40 miles) without incident. If your hot water heater lines are secured in similar matter, you may want to check them closely. I believe we caught ours in the nick of time. We will doing a more permanent repair later this week.

A

Al STORY

Thanks for the info

It's input like yours that makes this forum extremely valuable. I'll check our lines today.

I

Ivan Bekey

Ditto

Thank you very much for the heads up. Will check mine ASAP also. Ivan Bekey H356 #157

C

carisea

waterheater lines

My passage 42 is 10 years old (NOT original owner) and I noticed that also. So they have been doing this for awhile. hose does need some kind of buffer guard

J

John

This was reported

Yes I did report it to Hunter through the dealer where I bought the boat. They are fixing the chaffed line as part of the warranty repairs. All warranty work has to be reported to Hunter in order to recieve payment.

Status
Not open for further replies.