Chafe guards

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
What chafe guards do you use? This season I had severe chafing of my bow lines. More than usual. The guards I use the slip over design, heavy canvas material. They didn’t show signs of wear but under them the line was wearing. The 2 forward lines do rub on the anchor pulpit but don’t get caught in the anchor itself.
I am on a somewhat different mooring, as I tie up between two piles. Like being on a hammock.
The lines are secure enough but also loose enough to handle the constant shock loads.
So what are you using to prevent chafing of you mooring lines?

Attachments

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I use “chafe pro” guards that are similar to yours. I believe they also make guards that wrap around the line and attach with Velcro tabbing. Appears that your line was cut; time for replacement.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You may want to examine the fairleads in the area of that damage for a "tight bend". The line was under strain running over a structure that caused a bend/point pressure. As the line was stretched the edge of what ever it was caused the internal strands to break. Then the cover stands were all that was holding the line. They too were strained and broke down.

You have a couple options.
  • increase the diameter of the line all nylon.
  • use nylon/polyester line with chafe protection on all turns of the line.
  • make sure all fairlead angles are 45º or less on the lines. All 90º angles are of a gradual radius - no sharp edge
  • Make sure all lines have the same length of sag. No one line is holding the boat as the boat moves about.
  • Monitor the lines and change out any line showing chafe stress. Those dock lines will show the stress by compressing when they have been strained beyond their normal limits. This can happen in a single storm.

Sep 26, 2008
I agree, To your points, the sharp edges are the anchor pulpit (top and bottom). And I do believe it was possibly a single storm, the last tropical storm that came through in September. Before that my lines showed no signs of that level of chafe.
I have tried raising the lines as high on the poles as I could reach, to eliminate the sharp angles that tides create. But that is limited to how high a tide will lift the boat and I can reach up.
I even tried going very low on the poles, to try and eliminate the same angles. That just put the lines in the water and muck constantly and created rotting.
May have to add much more chafe protection length . And new lines of course.

Oct 22, 2014
What if you changed the way the lines move off the boat. You added chocks to the bow so that the lines do not go over the anchor roller. The area in the circle you identify as the issue
Something like this

1698343178305.png
They come in pairs for each side of your boat.
Add to them to the bow in the location of the arrow, so that the line does not go over the bow roller. They create a "FairLead" to the piling. I would still add the chafe so that the line running through the chocks is protected.
Be sure to secure them to the bow with adequate backing plates.

IMG_1756.jpeg

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
You have to be on the boat in rough conditions to see how it rides and what the lines are doing. See where they are rubbing. Can they be deflected from anything sharp? Can sharp edges be covered or eliminated? Dinghy out there someday when it is in the 30s.

The lines may be too loose. Play with it. They must be long enough to tolerate tide and surge, but be wary of people that say insist you need need slack to absorb impacts. In fact, excessive slack just gives the boat time to build momentum.

You could use short covered polyester or Dyneema strops from the cleat, through the chock, and then nylon from there. This is fairly common. Some people with concrete docks use a short length of chain.

Line coatings, such as Yale Maxijacket, can reduce wear but 5x or more. Yes, really.

Oct 22, 2014
This website my Mainesail Talks about the Yale Max Mooring pendant. It may provide some detail for you to adapt to your needs.

Sep 26, 2008
I like your idea of the added chocks to better align my lines to the pole. I had the thought of adding stainless eyebolts to the anchor roller and feeding the lines along side of it. But wasn’t sure of the stress that may add to the roller in heavy weather.
And I also thought of trying snubbers on both lines to give me some protection against the roller edges.
I definitely have to do something, I can’t allow this to happen again.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Your lines look like the same "Buccaneer" gold & white lines I bought through Defender.
They feel much more pliable/light weight than Samson lines I've used in the past. I had damage like that after one season where Samson lines lasted two or three seasons.
I won't buy Buccaneer lines again.

Sep 26, 2008
Ward, I believe you are right on the line manufacturer. I don’t remember the name but definitely purchased at Defender. They are easier on the hands, thats why we bought them. As my wife is the one handling them more than I ever do, she can maneuver them around easily when we’re going out and coming in.
Basically, she just loops the line over the cleat and ends it. I finish up the tension and neatness after we’re secured to the poles.