Centerboard Trunk Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCofKC

Sep 6, 2010
Catalina 28TR MKI 317 Smithville
Guys,

Need a little help here, I am working on a boat for a friend of mind and need some information.

The boat is a Chrysler 22, it has a leak in the keel trunk, port side, above and to the rear of the swing keel bolt. Some one suggessted that it was a plastic piston to keep the centerboard from thumping, it is held in with 4 bolts, that I assume have a screw head in the centerboard trunk and I do not want to cut themm off at this point.

To date I have cut some of the wood off and have confirmedd that this is the site of the ingression of water.

Have any of you ran into this problem and what did you do? I am hesitant to cut the bolts off, but feel I need to remove the wood, seal with like 3M 4200 or equivilant, cut a new board, replace the wood with new wood and tighten back up.

Am looking forward to comments from any of you that may have dealt with this issue. I am also on some of the other boards and do not know if I will get auto notificattion so could you please e-mail me direct at, kenneth_cox@sbcglobal.net thanks a ton you will I am sure save me some time and aggrivation.

Thanks again,

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.