Centerboard/Swing Keel Removal - Hunter 240

Mar 17, 2023
Hunter 240 Montreal
Hello Everyone, I need assistance with repairs on my Hunter 240

I need to remove the centerboard swing keel to repair fiber glass around. I removed the bolt inside the boat and Centerboard won't come off

Any tips do's and don'ts. Do I have to pry it off, pull it or hammer it down? or I am missing on other hardware to remove?

Should I do a poor man jobs repair and leave it there or it is normaly removable and re-installable without too much hassle?

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
You could try putting the bolt back in part way and then use a 2-3lb hammer gently on the head. That should start it moving enough to get it out from below. - one other thing to check before doing this. - Is the centreboard line loose and free to move at the mast step? (You may want to attach a new line to the tail of the existing to change to a new one during this process. As the centreboard comes down make note of the locations of all pins and routing of the line. 3/4” redi-rod will make reinstalling easier and can assist in removal. This is a task for 2 people in order to prevent damage.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@rgranger
Rob; where is the information on removing the centerboard bracket for the 26. I may have missed it but would be applicable to the H240?
Dave

@Maxcromic
look at what Rob sends and read it. Then advise referencing me here. I will then send you a private message. I was involved in the design of the 240 plus I was a dealer.
Dave

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
@rgranger
Rob; where is the information on removing the centerboard bracket for the 26. I may have missed it but would be applicable to the H240?
Dave

@Maxcromic
look at what Rob sends and read it. Then advise referencing me here. I will then send you a private message. I was involved in the design of the 240 plus I was a dealer.
Dave
Here it is

Mar 17, 2023
Hunter 240 Montreal
Thank you very much Gentlemen. Centerboard is not stuck if freely moves within its bracket. now I understand I have to pull it out since its more likely stuck in 3m 5200 sealant.

I will let you know how that goes later on

Max

Aug 1, 2022
Hunter 260 Semiahmoo WA
I recently completed this repair on my Hunter 260. I used a 2 x 2 to strike the elevated centerboard which released immediately.

Growth of mussels on non-antifouled part of the centerboard was the major issue.

A long threaded bolt helped to realign the centerboard.

Richard

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
So @Crazy Dave Condon has a neat trick for putting it all back together and from you pics, it looks like the previous person used it ... but a tab of duct tape on the pin to hold it in place while you get everything back in place.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I reached out to the poster and he owns a boat repair facility too. As for 5200 used on top of the centerboard bracket, that was done on earlier models which were stopped as I suggested a bead around the retaining bolt inside to keep water from getting into the cabin. In addition I told him to pull down while wiggling the center board sideways to remove the centerboard bracket . He was advised that it was a two man job

never pick up this boat with a forklift unless using straps that are tied so the straps will not come off due to the curvature of the bow and stern

Mar 8, 2023
Hunter 240 Sturgeon Bay
Max,
Been following your post, and appreciate the information. I’ve bought a 2004 240, and will have to drop my keel in the spring to repair a chunk missing from the nose of the keel. It’s been out of the water for 2 years, so I hope the foam core has dried out. Are you replacing the old keel, or repairing the fiberglass? If replacing, what led you to that decision? Rog

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@TreeRog

there is now under documentation on the hunter 240 boat information a detailed explanation of removing the centerboard. If you need any help as I removed centerboards over 500 times, feel free via personal message