Centerboard Repair and access

May 31, 2023
O'Day Daysailer 3 Richmond, VA
Hello everyone,
Any words of wisdom working on the center board? It seems as if the lines are not attached as I am not able to engage it. I had the boat turned over for cleaning, glass repairs, and painting all winter. I had no idea about the keel then. When I put it back on the trailer, it won't engage. I don't think it was like that when I brought it home.

Advice for working beneath the boat would be helpful. I don't have any boat stands.

Maybe it's a simple fix that someone else dealt with.

Thanks for your input.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Some people have been successful at pushing the CB down, through a hole in the top of the trunk. If your boat has a lift cable coming up through the top of the trunk, you might be able to push the CB down with a good stiff piece of steel wire, or even a wooden dowel.

Tell us a little more about your boat. How old? Second hand? CB material? My Mariner has a cast iron board which can swell with rust inside the trunk.

I don't have any boat stands.
Be very sure not to drop your boat on you or anything else. Belt and suspenders with your coveralls.

-Will

May 31, 2023
O'Day Daysailer 3 Richmond, VA
I bought my 1987 O'Day Daysailer 3 in the fall. It's my first boat. I've not been on the water yet. I didn’t know the centerboard was not working until after I put it back on the trailer. It took 5 men to turn the boat over somewhat "safely". I need an easier approach. This is the last thing before I launch.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Diagrams of Day Sailer II and III Centerboard operation. The two versions used basically the same setup, on 1980-85 DS II and all DS III the CB pivot pin is accessed from outside the boat, there are two stainless-steel plates located one on each side of the CB slot, near forward end that hold in a pair of wedges that hold the pin in place. Let me know if you need more info, I have created Expanded Manuals for both the DS II and III.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Here is basically how I move my DS II off the trailer (part way) to allow painting mode of the centerboard and inside of CB trunk (case).
R19_painting_1.JPG
You could also just pull boat off the trailer (CAREFULLY!) and rest stern on ground with boat still on trailer forward of CB slot. Wish I had taken a picture when I did that to replace the up-cable mid-season. I was able to back trailer down our beach by hand, then winch boat partway onto trailer which gave me enough room under boat to remove CB and change cable.

• Helpful