Centerboard not lowering all the way.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stewart

The centerboard does not seem to be lowering all the way, has anyone had this problem and any suggestions on how to correct it? Thanks Stewart

R

Rick Dieffenbach

Give more details

Question - what leads you to believe this? There's not much to the centerboard control. The one thing I found out early is that if there is movement, especially side pressure, the board takes its time dropping down. If I'm still it drops right down.

D

Doug Rodrigues

What model boat ??

Someone here could answer your question IF we knew what you have?

M

MArk

Mutant mollusks

Hi Stew, When my boat was slipped on the North Shore, hundreds of 3/4” long mussels congregated in the centerboard pocket. The thin-shelled, butterfly-shaped bivalves prevented my centerboard from dropping at all. I made a large version of a water-pick from copper tubing connected to a garden hose. By jabbing this device into the voids around the centerboard I was able to crush the shells and flush them out. Did you find a slip in Bay St.Louis? Happy sails _/), MArk

S

Stewart

Centerboard thanks

Hi Mark, Thanks for the info,sounds like that could be the problem.For now I have a slip in Mandeville, I have not had time to check anything out on the coast but still intend to do that and hopefully find something by springtime. Before I bought the boat I went back and forth between trailering and a slip.This is my first boat and when I actually got it, decided that it would be best for me to keep it in the water until I get more familiar with the whole deal. Thanks again. Stewart

T

Thaddeus Rice

centerboard

Remember that the board should not go all the way down.

R

Robert

Thaddeus; all the way down?

Hey Thaddeus, I'm fairly new to sailing. I have a Mac 26S, and realize how difficult raising and lowering the keel can be at times. What did you mean by "Remember that the board should not go all the way down."? I'm for anything that makes the whole process easier. Robert.

T

Thaddeus Rice

centerboard

What i meant is that a centerboard is not designed to go down to a vertical postion like a dagger board.

S

Stewart

Thanks to all...

My centerboard came clunking down all by itself,must have had something stuck in there, but thanks to all for the input. Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.