Caulking versus butyl tape around windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 15, 2004
Catalina 30 Benicia, California
I am in the process of resealing all of the cabin windows in my 1980 C-30. I'm wondering if anyone has strong opinions about using caulking versus butyl tape to seal the outer window frame against the outer cabin wall? Bob Boller Benicia, CA.

Aug 24, 2007
Catalina 30mkIII New Albany, IN
Butyl Tape

I used the butyl tape on a side window which I haven't removed and it seems to work nicely. I also used it on the cabintop vent which I recently removed to see if my mast base was leaking at the vent. The butyl tape was working nicely and still very moist under the vent frame. The tape is cleaner to work with than normal cauling compounds, and cheaper.

Oct 8, 2006
Catalina 30' Mk I Norfolk,VA
This is the final step!

My C30 is one year older than yours - I've had 2 starboard port lights that leak when it rains - have had three pails in place when it rains since I bought the boat. I've used every gooey squirt stuff to seal from the outside - there have been no apparent gaps. I knew about this product but had not seen it in stores; found it at a West Marine store last weekend. http://www.captaintolley.com/ I do not work for them, I own none of their stock, and never used the stuff before. This is a virgin, serious review. Caulk/seal with what you prefer, let it setup, then, run a small bead of this stuff where you see no gaps or cracks. I did this three times, the fluid disappears - it get's into places you cannot see. We've had 6" of rain in Norf**k over the past 3 days and NOT A DROP has entered the boat. The product is so thin it "wicks" into very tiny places, seals, and stays flexible. This is the best invention since White Castle hamburgers and blow up sheep.

Status
Not open for further replies.