Catching up on sailing history - Joshua Slocum

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
From Joshua Slocum (1985). “The Voyages of Joshua Slocum”, p.381, Sheridan House, Inc.

To young men contemplating a voyage I would say go. The tales of rough usage are for the most part exaggerations, as also are the tales of sea danger. To face the elements is, to be sure, no light matter when the sea is in its grandest mood. You must then know the sea, and know that you know it, and not forget that it was made to be sailed over.”​

What magical words from a sea Captain who was the first to sail solo around the world. Accomplished in the late 1890’s with a sextant, a boat, and a few charts.... I think this may be the 1899 version of the Nike Swoosh motto. “Just do it”.

A Canadian from Nova Scotia, captured in this documentary of his sailing adventure....

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
A Canadian from British Columbia, captured in this photo a horrifying image when the captain of his sailboat mistakenly shouted: "DIVE! DIVE! DIVE!"

IMG_20190405_113216 (Small) (Medium).jpg

Oct 22, 2014
captured in this photo a horrifying image when the captain of his sailboat mistakenly shouted: "DIVE! DIVE! DIVE!"
What I do not see anything...? Oh... That is the point... Oh I have been locked up for too long..

Oct 22, 2014
The phrase “You can take the man out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the man”
Comes to mind. I guess it applies to Submarine Captains as well. Remind me less I forget, Never put a Sub Captain at the helm of a sail boat. It would seem at the first sign of trouble they might want to duck under water...

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
From Joshua Slocum (1985). “The Voyages of Joshua Slocum”, p.381, Sheridan House, Inc.

To young men contemplating a voyage I would say go. The tales of rough usage are for the most part exaggerations, as also are the tales of sea danger. To face the elements is, to be sure, no light matter when the sea is in its grandest mood. You must then know the sea, and know that you know it, and not forget that it was made to be sailed over.”​

What magical words from a sea Captain who was the first to sail solo around the world. Accomplished in the late 1890’s with a sextant, a boat, and a few charts.... I think this may be the 1899 version of the Nike Swoosh motto. “Just do it”.

A Canadian from Nova Scotia, captured in this documentary of his sailing adventure....

To complement the documentary read “A Man for All Oceans”, by Stan Grayson. Copyright 2017. More about the remarkable Joshua Slocum.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island

Can’t say how many times I’ve read that book since my Dad introduced it to me in my early teens but I know the print is starting to fade from over use.

Dec 23, 2018
Newport 17 Mobile
The phrase “You can take the man out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the man”
Comes to mind. I guess it applies to Submarine Captains as well. Remind me less I forget, Never put a Sub Captain at the helm of a sail boat. It would seem at the first sign of trouble they might want to duck under water...
What about a Torpedoman at the first sign of trouble? Final bearing

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
What about a Torpedoman at the first sign of trouble? Final bearing
Standing watch in the middle of the night, in the middle of the Atlantic, I heard the rushing hiss of something to starboard getting louder. I looked in time to see the phosphorus columnar wake of a high speed torpedo heading straight for us. There was nothing in the seconds before impact to do except think, :yikes:< "OH :poop:!"

Moments later it intersected our course at the beam, then turned to play in our wake. Bloody dolphins.:puke:

-Will (Dragonfly)