"Catalina smile" ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill

I'm considering buying a 1985 Catalina 30. Have'nt had it surveyd or hauled yet, but the owner tells me it has a "Catalina smile" (a small horizontal crack where the hull meets the keel). He say's they are common and totally cosmetic. True or False?

Oct 25, 2005
Catalina 30 Banderas Bay, Mexico
Yes and no :)

The lead keel on C30's has a layer or two of glass over the keel stub to ballast joint. The "smile" is where this glass has cracked. If the glass is cracked, what moved? (and why) Usually its from running the boat aground. If the keel stub is sound and the keel bolts are tight, the smile is probably not worth worrying about. However, pre 1988 C30's had wood in the keel stub. If the boat grounded and cracked the keel joint glass, chances are that it also has some damage to the wood in the keel stub. A sure sign of this is water leaking into the bilge from around the keel bolts. The fix is to cut the top layer of glass out of the bilge, clean out the wood and add several layers of glass to the bilge before re-installing the keel washers and nuts. The job can be done with the keel in place. I'd have a survey done and ask the surveyor to pay close attention to the area. The smile ain't the end of the world, but it is cause for close inspection.

R

Ron

hard top causes also

The way the boat is stored on the hard top can also be a cause for the "smile". Purchased my '84 C-30 last year with the smile. No problem. Actually haven't seen many if any C-30's without the smile. Check but I wouldn't worry too much. Do an archive search here and you will see lots of info or check this site for additional info as well.

M

Michael Froelich

Catalina Smile

I sold my 1986 Catalina 30 in 2000. When it was surveyed, for the new owner, he said the "smile" was very common and nothing to worry about. Regards, Michael Froelich C-400 Windfall

Jun 16, 2004
Catalina 30 Mk1 Horseshoe Bay, BC
I hear its common

When I bought my boat in (Aug 04) it didn't have the smile, but at the next haulout (Mar 05) it magically appeared. Its on my list to fix next year. Its so common that Catalina put out a recommended fix procedure. See my website below.

J

John

Keel bolts

Ihave a C30 1988 TR #5115 I think my boat was 15 boats away from haveing the solid glass stub but i did have a nice peace of teak down there.if your keel wood is still good and can hold the bolts (110lb tork )I wood retork them. Then grind in a deep groove around the keel down to the glass and glass it up with enough glass to fill up the gap then smooth with filler Ive seen other boats that where roted bad and the keel was glassed on with 6" thick glass 3/4" thick in the center they are looking good after three years.I was all ready to remove my keel stub so I just went for it.The catalina keel stub picture they sent me looked good nothing in the way of the glass work but the moter is in the way and it hard to get back there to work ..My keel bolts needed the 11/2" of wood becouse the bolts hit the sides of the bilge when they where run down I used iron wood very hard and then glassed over it then painted the bilge white It took me one day to rip it out and one day to glass it in and then a day for paint . I used way more glass then catalina wanted. John

Status
Not open for further replies.