Catalina 400 prop walk

JBS

Mar 22, 2014
Cataina 400 mk II Booker Bay
HI all I got a shock when i went to move my 400 in reverse. Prop walk out the wahzoo. My mediocre skills not withstanding , is this a phenomanon of the 400? I heard whispers of moving to a folding prop would give me better tractability and control in reverse. What is the opinion of the community on this? Thanks Jonathan

Claygr

Feb 10, 2014
Catalina 387 Milwaukee, WI
HI all I got a shock when i went to move my 400 in reverse. Prop walk out the wahzoo. My mediocre skills not withstanding , is this a phenomanon of the 400? I heard whispers of moving to a folding prop would give me better tractability and control in reverse. What is the opinion of the community on this? Thanks Jonathan
Can't speak to the C400 but I know that moving from a fixed prop to a Flexofold three-blade greatly diminished my prop walk. I was able to back to starboard, something I never could do previously without a helping cross-wind from that side to blow the bow around.

You probably know this already but the preferred tactic for dealing with prop walk is to use short bursts of reverse to get water flowing over the rudder, at which point you should have sufficient steerage. You need to really goose the throttle to get enough speed on to both overcome the initial prop walk and to counteract any cross-wind or current that will push the bow over (usually not in the direction you want to the bow to go).

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
A good friend of mine has a 400 with fixed 3blade and the prop walk, while noticeable, is not that great. While you will see less with a folding or Maxprop, one solution may be the method you use rather than the hardware. Prop walk is often your friend.

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Can't speak to the C400 but I know that moving from a fixed prop to a Flexofold three-blade greatly diminished my prop walk. I was able to back to starboard, something I never could do previously without a helping cross-wind from that side to blow the bow around. You probably know this already but the preferred tactic for dealing with prop walk is to use short bursts of reverse to get water flowing over the rudder, at which point you should have sufficient steerage. You need to really goose the throttle to get enough speed on to both overcome the initial prop walk and to counteract any cross-wind or current that will push the bow over (usually not in the direction you want to the bow to go).
Like many boats with a fixed prop, I too have a lot of prop walk on my boat. I had folding props on my last two boats which virtually eliminates PW as Claygr states. I haven't decided which to go with on this boat, but will be switching to a folder for this reason and to have a fighting chance against getting snagged on Lobster pots.
Many feel that "Prop Walk is your friend", but my attitude has always been "Prop Wlalk is to be tolerated". I understand it and know how to use it, but still would prefer to not have to think about it given my slip arrangement. The only other thing I would add to the advice from Claygr is to get the boat moving with a lot of Reverse and then slip it into neutral until the boat is moving in reverse, then you can turn the boat and add throttle as needed....hope this helps....

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
Ditto Claygr. Just changed to a Flexofold on my B37 and prop walk greatly diminished. But primary benefit is the boat sails faster and no spinning shaft-Yanmar doesn't like tranny in gear when sailing as you probably know. As Don says prop walk can be a useful tool-now I need to relearn a bit:D

Jun 10, 2004
Catalina c30 Savannah, GA
Prop walk is a givin on a number of vessels. One way to handle it is to control the time that you are in reverse. By only doing it for short period of time like seconds will give you movement backwards with out the walk. The prop is grabbing water and pulling the boat in the side direction. I can't speak for the folding props, but the concept is the same; the prop grabs water as it backs up. I have owned a Catalina C380 and C470 and this is method that I used.
Captain Jim

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You probably know this already but the preferred tactic for dealing with prop walk is to use short bursts of reverse to get water flowing over the rudder, at which point you should have sufficient steerage. You need to really goose the throttle to get enough speed on to both overcome the initial prop walk and to counteract any cross-wind or current that will push the bow over (usually not in the direction you want to the bow to go).
Short bursts in the first sentence, then really goose it in the second.

The second one is correct.

99% of folks who mention prop walk, a constantly recurring theme, is that they simply don't get the throttle up enough to start moving backwards.

Sure, you'll get a little prop walk at first, but then the movement overcomes it.

I always suggest practicing this in open water and next to an open side tie dock.

Practice, practice, practice.

JBS

Mar 22, 2014
Hi All

Thanks for the feedback. I have to say I was really freaked out by this and it sounds Like I need to really get a feel for it. The advise about short bursts to get backwards motion and then when steering is engaged more control is available is good council. I have a tricky berth in my marina where there is typically flowing water and some prevailing winds impacting manouvers. Gunning it for sustained periods just sees the stern going out to port and an unwanted pivot (and a panicking skipper).\

Jonathan

Apr 11, 2012
Cataina 400 MK II Santa Cruz
I have a Catalina 400. My boat, with the three blade prop, has less prop walk than many other boats that I have operated. I agree with the descriptions of how to use throtle control to assist control while backing. You will get the hang of it! The 400 is a fine boat and handles exceptionally well. It's late, got to go. I'll PM with you later to find out if I can be of assistance.

Scotty

JBS

Mar 22, 2014
I have a Catalina 400. My boat, with the three blade prop, has less prop walk than many other boats that I have operated. I agree with the descriptions of how to use throtle control to assist control while backing. You will get the hang of it! The 400 is a fine boat and handles exceptionally well. It's late, got to go. I'll PM with you later to find out if I can be of assistance.

Scotty
Thanks - very comforting..!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Hi All

Thanks for the feedback. I have to say I was really freaked out by this and it sounds Like I need to really get a feel for it. The advise about short bursts to get backwards motion and then when steering is engaged more control is available is good council. I have a tricky berth in my marina where there is typically flowing water and some prevailing winds impacting manouvers. Gunning it for sustained periods just sees the stern going out to port and an unwanted pivot (and a panicking skipper).\
Jonathan,

I hear you and understand. That's where the practice comes in. You might also do some studying on spring lines. There are books on it and I'm sure that there's plenty on the internet. This is not just a midships spring line that I'm referring to, but essentially learning how to "warp" yourself off a dock. Handy to know in all events anyway. Good luck.