Catalina 34 or 36 sailing specifics

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rambler31

I am considering purchasing a Catalina 36 MKII. I currently sail a Hunter 31, 1985. It seems the Catalina boats I have sailed against are considerably slower. Is this a Catalina trade mark ? I really like the lay out and styling of Catalina's, But I also enjoy a little speed once in a while. We currently achive about 7-8 miles per hour under full sail with about 12-14 mph wind. We use a 150 genoa and main sail. Will a Catalina perform like this ? Please let me know if you sail a Catalina and what your honest opinion is of them. Thanks.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Not as fast (maybe, maybe not)

We have a friend with a C'34 ('88). Seems to me that they handle a blow better than your H'31. When you compare this boat to the Hunter, I think you will generally see that Catalinas have shorter rigs, smaller sails and are heavier boats. The aft cabin on the C'34 is very closed in. Not much ventilation. The cockpit is generally very large on these boats. They give up room down below in exchange for this area. Side decks are narrow. Nothing really wrong with this boat, but not my cup of tea. They have some problems like every other boat so do some research and get a good survey if you are buying used. If you are looking up into this size boat you may want to look at the New H'356. I don't think that the Catalina's can match this boat on speed, amenities etc. This is one area that Hunter has everyone wondering how they are going to catch up. What price range are you looking at?

T

Tom

Rambler31.....I have a Catalina 36MKII and its a

very nice boat. The boat will sail very well and has excellent manners and feel at the helm. And yes it does have a good turn of speed. It is a bit heavier than a comparable hunter (and compared to the C34). So in very light air (under 6 knots) it will not do as well as lighter boats. But let the wind pipe up a bit and she really moves well. So in very light winds I just use a Cruising Spinnaker and she does very well. Will she do 8 mph YES (lol....that is if you meant mph or did you mean knots). But she can reach her hull speed and more (7.3 knots). She is also very easy to single hand. I was running from Watch Hill, RI to Newport RI in 8-10 foot seas with a steady 20 knot winds (with gusts much higher). I was going a constant 7 knots (with knotmeter saying I maxed at 8.5knts !) . She really doesn't heel too much either which also keeps the sailing more comfortable. I might also add that I did this singled handed so she is set up very well to single-hand. Also if you go back to the Practical Sailor Article from Last June. They were talking about the speed reaching 7.6 knots when sailing 50 deg to the apparent wind with a shorten jib down to 105% !! (I don't call that slow) It also goes on to say that the speed increased to 8-8.5 knots when they footed off on a broad reach.....Contact Practical Sailor and you can get a reprint.............If you are concerned about the extra speed you can always opt for a Tall Rig and a 150% genoa.....I heard that can make a difference in the lighter air. The Cat 36 MKII in my opinion is a very pretty boat, sleek lines and not really "trendy" looking but still classic and attractive....Why do you think they've already made over 2100 of these boats so far and the demand is still high? Because it really is a great boat. This design (hull, deck, interior, sailing) really hit the sweet spot, everything works so well together, if they changed the hull design just a bit or the deck, etc, then they would have thrown off the whole boat. Plus Also I don't think you will find a better Salon area on a boat this size anywhere......All the hardware on the boat is solid and beefy gear mostly made by Garhauer, Shaefer, amd Lewmar. . Yes it is a little heavier boat, but thats what I liked about it. Its SOLID and feels good....when the wind and waves pick up it still feels fine and its especially nice because the non-sailors won't panic on this boat. As for the Hunter 356 its a decent boat....But sorry Steve I have to disagree with you on Catalina's having to catch up on speed and amenities!...(What ammenities does the Hunter have that the Catalina has other than the Radar Arch and more freeboard).... for instance go to This Months review by Practical Sailor comparing the C310, H326,

R

RG Miller

Hunter vs. Catalina????????

I own a Catalina 320 and have yet to find a Hunter close to my size who can match her for speed. Most people I talk with who have sailed Hunters, don't like the way they handle, especialy down wind with their swept back spreaders. They are very nice tied up to the dock though. Get the boat you want for your needs, but, please, don't worry about the speed of the Catalinas.

R

Roger

C350 vs C36

In an earlier reply there was a comment about the new C350. I would be interested in opinions comparing the C350 to the 36. If you were buying a new boat in this range would it be a 350 or 36. Thanks.

L

Les Murray

In that wind I can get around 6 - 7 kts.

Your mileage may vary, but I can usually get close to hull speed once I get upwards to 15 kts. of wind. SOG is another matter with tides, waves, and such. Last summer sailing from Long Island to Block Island I was pushing close to 9 kts. with an appearant wind of 20 kts off the stern quarter. I have the tall rig, fin keel, and 135% genny. The fin keel makes a big difference in peformance. You are right about lighter winds, however. under 10 kts. I have a hard time getting over 6 kts. It does better with a clean bottom and not towing the dinghy. As far as comfort and ammenities, I have an older C-36 and love the layout below. The 36 has an efficient layout below and I like it better than the C-34. I have only seen pictures of the C-350, so I cannot comment on that boat. It appears, though, that if you like the layout of the Hunters, then the 350 should have more appeal. The best thing you can do however, is to go and see for yourself. Check out each of the boats and see which one appeals most to you. We Catalina owners are a very loyal bunch and love our boats. Go sail each of the boats you're interested in, then go with what you like the best. Make sure you do a good comparison. Sail each boat both in light and heavy air so you can see how each perform. Also, be sure to check them out under power too. Good luck and let us know how you make out. Les Murray s/v Ceilidh '86 C-36 #560

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Speed??

I've sailed both and I suspect they both sail about the same. I didn't check the specs but I think the Hunter may have a little more sail area, but I'll bet the C36 has a deeper keel. Just a guess, though. I find the question amusing because, if you want speed, get a trimaran! Or a powerboat. What's the difference between two boats of similar design, age, and materials? Half a knot? Enough to matter in a club race, certainly, but if that's your goal find an old J. if you're cruising them you'll never notice the difference without GPS.

T

Tom

Like Phil said "Speed is relative"

are just relative measurements that do not tell the whole story of how a boat sails. It ignores the positive aspects of a good hull shape..... I think an Island Packet is a SLUG and I bet Island Packet Sailors think that a Westsail is a SLUG. And I bet all J-Boat sailors think we are all SLUGS……lol And it also matters how a boat is sailed. I can recall when I had my old boat (which was a 1980 Watkins 27) that I thought that was a SLUG, but I still remember sailing over to Sheepshead Bay and passing a 40 Hunter thinking……"wow, what is that skipper doing wrong !?!" If that extra speed in light air is critical to you on a C36 then I suggest 4 things a)getting the tall rig b)getting the fin keel (plus it is a lighter keel by 500lbs) c)getting a folding or feathering prop d)getting an older 36 pre-MKII (the reason for this is because Catalina keeps adding more and more amenities as standard equipment over the years which add up to weight which slow the boat down in light air - things like TV/VCR… Microwave…2 Big 4D batteries....Extra water tankage etc., etc.) Oh....and BTW homer....Owners fantasy stories!?...LOL....Don't you wish............ As far as PHRF goes.....take a look at this web site (http://phrfne.org/baseh.htm) which are the NE Base handicaps......if you want the numbers...CATALINA 36 138; CATALINA 36 TM 132 ; HUNTER 35.5 138 ; HUNTER 36 132 ; HUNTER 37 132 (By the way this is with BOTH the Hunter 36 and the Hunter 37 having longer LWL !!!)......To back this up and compare you can go to another PHRF base ratings site for Long Island Sound (http://www.yralis.org) and see that the PHRF's numbers between the H35.5, H36, H37

G

George B.

C34's

First and foremost, the C34 is designed as a coastal cruiser and has all the amenities for extended cruising. This may make them a bit heavier. A J105 will give more performance, but as for creature comforts… C34s have raced to Hawaii and have cruised Alaska, Mexico and the Caribbean. They are raced a lot here on the west coast but are primarily cruisers in the east. The cockpit is large enough to accommodate a racing crew and the controls are well situated for double and single handed sailing. The aft cabin is fully enclosed and private - ideal for two cruising couples. It also has it's own opening ports and hatch. In regards to PHRF ratings, success is not measured on how low is your initial rating is but rather how well you sail against that rating. In San Francisco, C34s are rated at 147 clean and time is given for furling jibs and fixed props. Boats that run feathering props do very well against Ericson's and Cal 34s of similar configuration. Unfortunately, few Hunters race on the Bay so I don't have any comparable statistics. The biggest speed improvement by far is the folding prop. The second is to replace the factory jib and main with sails that have more of a racing cut. The Catalina 34 website (www.C34.org) has numerous suggestions and discussions on improving performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.