Catalina 34 Air Conditioning

Dec 21, 2013
Catalina 34 Mandeville, LA
Thinking about installing an HVAC in my 1988 Catalina 34. Any thoughts on sizing? I live on the Gulf Coast. Also, any hints on routing the duct work? Seems like getting air to the aft cabin might be a feat. The galley is aft on the Stbd side of the main cabin, and the head is aft on the Port side. Thanks

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2006
Catalina 34 Naples FL
On my c34, 1988 my AC is in the hanging locker under the chart table. Ducts routed up and through the port side thru the head to the aft cabin. One to the head, one along the port side to the forward and 2 vents into the main cabin. I am in SWFla. It is all my AC can do to cool off the boat in the summer. It is 16000 btu. I use shut off covers to focus the flow of ac into the main salon until the sun goes down. If not using the aft area i keep it shut off. Good luck.
I think the newer AC units are probably better than my 10 yr old one.

Dec 21, 2013
Catalina 34 Mandeville, LA
Your AC

On my c34, 1988 my AC is in the hanging locker under the chart table. Ducts routed up and through the port side thru the head to the aft cabin. One to the head, one along the port side to the forward and 2 vents into the main cabin. I am in SWFla. It is all my AC can do to cool off the boat in the summer. It is 16000 btu. I use shut off covers to focus the flow of ac into the main salon until the sun goes down. If not using the aft area i keep it shut off. Good luck.
I think the newer AC units are probably better than my 10 yr old one.
Terry, are you saying you have duct work up high, running along the overhead, or do you go through the settee on the port side ? Thanks

Dec 25, 2008
Catalina 34 St. Simons Island
I purchased a 1987 Catalina 34 in late 2013 and the AC unit is located under the port side bench seat in the main saloon. Apparently this is where the holding tank was originally located. A bladder type holding tank was added in the wet locker under the nav table.

I replaced the 12,000 btu unit with a 16,000 btu unit and it has done a good job keeping the boat cool through the hottest summer days which are in the mid-90s. The issue with water cooled reverse cycle HVAC units is that they will not cool efficiently if the water temperature approaches or exceeds 90 degrees, and they will not warm efficiently if the water temperature approaches or drops below 45 degrees.

My boat is on the coast of Georgia so the summer and winter water temperature falls within the range required for the HVAC unit to function properly.