Catalina 310 Rub rails

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim

Greetings, Last weekend all three 310's on our pier were out sailing. When we returned all three and a nearby 320 had the rubber insert in the rubrail hanging loose on the sides of the boats. Anyone else with newer Catalina boats have this problem? Any suggestions on how to secure it? Regards, Jim westydone@hotmail.com

J

Jim P

Rub Rail

I had my 310 rubrail insert come loose after a high wind docking experience that did not go as planned, so I have had the same thing happen. I was able to pound it back into place with a rubber mallet and it hasn't happened again. Next time, I think that I'll try using an adhesive (4200?) behind the insert before pounding it back into place. Did all of the rubber inserts come out while sailing? Was it unusually windy or large seas?

B

Bob

A common problem

Same problem has happened to me. I now have the rub rail insert held in-place with packaging tape - the clear kind. Cannot be seen, but I know it is there especially since I just waxed the hull yesterday in preparation for launch next Wednesday. I talked with the dealer - Freeman Eckley in Vermilion - a few months ago and he said it is a common problem across the whole Catalina product line. His suggestion was as you stated - 4200! I will wait for a really hot day to soften the insert and then try not to drip sweat all over the insert as I cement it in place. I also need to repair a dent in the aluminum extrusion caused by a crash landing in a 20 kt cross wind. Bob Winter Dream'n 310 #118

Status
Not open for further replies.