Catalina 310 Polars

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
I'm playing around with weather routing (Open CPN) and wondering if anyone has polars for our boat. We aren't racers, just a learning exercise, but planning a long trip and would be interesting to play with the weather routing capabilities. Searching this forum and online, I've found nothing for the 310. Thanks, Ed

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Thanks! The C30 may be closest. A good enough place to start for my purposes. Planning a 10 and 12 hour sails next weekend; a good time to measure vs. reality. BUT wind forecast is light and right in our face.

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Over the winter I researched Polar programs and found the 20 year old PCSAIL Excel program developed by David Martin at the U of Michigan. It's hard to find the source file online but I did find and download the student version, which only ran on obsolete Excel 2000. I can't find the full non-student version, which is likely not public domain. I've been able to modify and get it running on Excel 2010 with the Solver add-in, and it should work on newer but I haven't had time to test it. I have to say the Excel code and the math nearly made my Engineer head explode. This is Masters or PHD thesis stuff. I made no change to the calculations, so I assume the results are per the original program. I did add Polar plotting capability on an additional tab.

Our 310 is fin keel with the 150 genoa. There are quite a few parameters to enter for the hull and sails. I had to assume some of the dimensions until I was able to get to the boat and measure, but I found that correcting my assumptions didn't make too much difference to the end results. I played with a lot of the parameters and for the most part results were in the same ballpark. I was a bit concerned that the results did exceed theoretical hull speed by a bit. So I do wonder what "student version" means.

The plot for our boat with main and jib is attached. I don't know if appropriate to post the Excel file here, but you can PM me if you want to play with it. This was a good winter obsession, but now we just want to get in the water and sail. Fair winds. /Ed

PS: It snowed 6" today...

Attachments