Catalina 309 Anode

May 7, 2020
Catalina 309 Keyport
Hello!
Does anyone know the specific prop anode for the 309? I went by the martyr number in the owners manual and it was the wrong anode.

Thank you!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Any chandlery like Catalina Direct or West Marine can provide zinc anodes for your 1" shaft and I presume you have one for your strut.

May 7, 2020
Catalina 309 Keyport
I thought the same thing. I took the part number to two different west marine (which was actually specified in the Catalina 309 owners manual) and they were not able to identify it; one store mgr wasn't interested, the other tried for quite a while and was not able to help.

The anode on my boat was sort of a small 'cup' that screwed directly on to the on to the very end of the shaft that goes through the prop. I will try Catalina direct. Didn't expect this to be so 'illusive'.

I tossed the old one in a cup of change in the console of my car, and the cup of change was stolen!

Can't make this stuff up!

Thank you.

May 7, 2020
Catalina 309 Keyport
Thanks so much for your response.! I have seen that anode, but the one that was on did not have a nut or hole in it. Is it possible that there is more than one design that fits the boat? I will try to find a picture of the old one.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
Thanks so much for your response.! I have seen that anode, but the one that was on did not have a nut or hole in it. Is it possible that there is more than one design that fits the boat? I will try to find a picture of the old one.
Do you have a fixed-blade prop on your boat?

BTW- the pic I posted shows the prop nut & anode as a set. The anode is of course available separately.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2015
Catalina 309 Port Charlotte
When I bought my 309, it only had a donut one on the shaft. I had my diver put one like shown by fstbttms as there's very little space for a donut.

Dave

Alma

Apr 11, 2022
Catalina 309 Melbourne
When I bought my 309, it only had a donut one on the shaft. I had my diver put one like shown by fstbttms as there's very little space for a donut.

Dave
Hi Dave, Could you please tell me the model of donut anode you are using on your 309. Thanks

Apr 13, 2015
Catalina 309 Port Charlotte
Hi Dave, Could you please tell me the model of donut anode you are using on your 309. Thanks
Hi Alma, I no longer have the donut one on my prop shaft as there is just too little clearance and it restricts the water flow through the cutlass bearing. I only have the one on the prop hub now.

Dave

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Alma check out the choices available at BoatZincs. Know the diameter of your shaft and the spaces available between the prop / strut / and exit from the hull. Armed with this knowledge you will be able to select a zinc design from the many offered.

Doing the job with the boat out of the water is a great way to understand what is needed.

The goal is to keep the zinc about 2 plus inches from the cutlass bearing so water can easily flow through the bearing to keep it cool. If installing it while the boat is in the water, it should be easy to accomplish. This means you want the screws to be captured in the zinc and use a simple tool as shown on the website. Any professional diver like @fstbttms will have the tools for the job