Catalina 30 Traveler Upgrade - LocTite end plate

Apr 27, 2015
Hunter 27 Saco
Hello
I am upgrading my traveler and need to get the endplate off which appears to be Loctite secured (see attached image). I have attempted to use an impact driver which proved useless. Anyone have a similar experience with a successful workaround?
Thanks
Rick

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I doubt it's loctite. It's probably corroded. I have a frozen bolt holding my track endcap. You may have to drill it and use an ez-out.
See what others say first.

Oct 24, 2017
Catalina MKII Chesapeake City MD
Heat the screw with a small torch then use the impact driver.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
There likely isn't LockTite in it. You have a stainless bolt into aluminium that's been corroding for possibly years. Put some PBBlaster in it and let it soak in overnight, then put some more in tomorrow and let that soak in overnight. The bolt will likely fall out in your hands. I had exactly the same problem, and that stuff is amazing. Messy, but amazing.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
There likely isn't LockTite in it. You have a stainless bolt into aluminium that's been corroding for possibly years. Put some PBBlaster in it and let it soak in overnight, then put some more in tomorrow and let that soak in overnight. The bolt will likely fall out in your hands. I had exactly the same problem, and that stuff is amazing. Messy, but amazing.
That was my comment as well. The picture makes me think PDBlaster won't be able to get in to do its thing though. Maybe from behind? Otherwise it may have to be drilled for an EZ Out

Aug 1, 2011
It'll work it's way in. I had the same problem with the windows, 20 years of corrosion buildup, even after 2 days of PB Blaster soaking in yielded a puddle of white stuff, but the bolts came out. Here's the end result. You can still see a bit of the residue on the bottom plate.

Attachments

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I was lucky the bolts on my traveler came out easy but as Meriachee noted, PBBlaster works great. The trick is patience and spray the stuck bolt once a day for a couple of days.

Aug 1, 2011
I’ve never been a “wd40” fan, but this Blaster stuff is the real deal. Galvanic corrosion doesn’t stand a chance.