Catalina 30 starboard water tank

Apr 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS Lake City Marina
Looking to fix starboard water tank leak, how can you access discharge fitting on tank? PO put a refrigerator in the space where the batteries use to sit under the nav table and I can't see the end fitting on tank, is there a access panel under the nav station? My bilge kept filling with water from a leak on the discharge part of tank. Also, can you remove tank? Seems that the factory fiber glassed panels near the tank so it wouldn't move and you can't pull tank out unless you cut the tabs. Thanks

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
On my previous C30, the water tank was boxed in with plywood glassed at various places- imposible to remove the tank. I did have the "opportunity" to remove the fuel tank that was glassed in with tabs. I used one of those vibrating tools with a new blade and breezed thru the removal. Also, there has been a lot written about the repair of poly tanks - epoxy is not going to work. Recommendation is to research the leak repair and have a viable solution prior to start. If its not a cracked fitting, then using a better thread sealant (not teflon tape) will work.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
On my 93 the starboard tank is forward of the battery compartment. Both are under the starboard settee.
My tank is also held in place with plywood fiberglass tabbing.
The tank discharge fitting is accessible on the aft end of the tank. There is a valve and hose fitting. Hopefully one of those is cracked on your tank. If the tank itself is cracked you will probably need to pull the tank. I just pulled my bow tank to clean it but it wasn't tabbed in place.

Jun 20, 2021
Catalina '83 30 SR Universal 5411 Arkansas River
10 year old thread...
@barnstormer did you find a solution? It's looking like I'll have to cut the plywood/fiberglass panels holding the tank in place and lift in out. Thanks.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
10 year old thread...
@barnstormer did you find a solution? It's looking like I'll have to cut the plywood/fiberglass panels holding the tank in place and lift in out. Thanks.
10 years? When did it become 2032?… wow time flies.

im not sure how my starboard tank is mounted, I can look next time I visit Luna.

Jun 20, 2021
Catalina '83 30 SR Universal 5411 Arkansas River
For future readers, I was able to access the starboard tank drain fitting through the 4" access port in the battery compartment. Probably took an hour but it's finished.

Jan 26, 2019
Catalina 30, mkI 2462 Waukegan, IL
Maybe there is a shutoff valve on my starboard tank as fox9988 described. It would make sense, but either I didn't see the battery compartment access or it doesn't exist on my '82.

So, I added a valve in a more accessible location. From memory, the feed from the starboard tank and the feed from the v-berth tank join under the q-berth. I added a shutoff valve in the line from the starboard tank right before it tees into the v-berth line. Once they become one, then the next stop is the freshwater pump just forward of the galley on my boat. I do have another pump that I think some folks use right there under the q-berth. On my boat this is used as a washdown pump.