Catalina 30 Roller Furling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2011
Catalina 27 Bellingham Bay
Hi everyone, I have a 86 Catalina 30 standard rig and am in debate as to which roller to buy. Can I use the Harken MKVI Unit 0? It seems like it would fit the forestay, but Catalinadirect sells the Unit 1. Or are there better options in the same price range?

Thanks, Steve

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
I would check out Furlex. You get all the parts you need (Harken sells them in kits) and it is a better engineered furler. You even get a new forestay (not Harken) which means everything is new (not a new furler on an old Forestay). I would check them out.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I hear that Profurl has a good reputation for durability, and a design that prevents halyard wrap, which was a serious & consistent problem that I had with my Harken Mark III model. The Harken came with my previous boat, an S 2 racer, & despite their marketing Harken products for racing, I don't consider them tough or robust in design. As a matter of fact I believe that I referred to the harken furler that I luckily no longer own as "A piece of CRAP!" It jammed constantly, whenever U really needed it to work in any kind of high winds, despite having it adjusted, wrangled, strangled & finally given up on by more then a few competent sailors & riggers who worked on it with me. My current C 30 has a 20+ year old HOOD furler that runs smooth as silk. Fexible Furlers are also cheaper in price & used by Catalina, but U get what U pay for.

Jan 26, 2009
HUNTER 340 Raritan Yacht Club
I hear that Profurl has a good reputation for durability, and a design that prevents halyard wrap, which was a serious & consistent problem that I had with my Harken Mark III model. The Harken came with my previous boat, an S 2 racer, & despite their marketing Harken products for racing, I don't consider them tough or robust in design. As a matter of fact I believe that I referred to the harken furler that I luckily no longer own as "A piece of CRAP!" It jammed constantly, whenever U really needed it to work in any kind of high winds, despite having it adjusted, wrangled, strangled & finally given up on by more then a few competent sailors & riggers who worked on it with me. My current C 30 has a 20+ year old HOOD furler that runs smooth as silk. Fexible Furlers are also cheaper in price & used by Catalina, but U get what U pay for.

Steve,

Check this out.

www.aladousa.com

I plan to purchase this in the spring.

Also check the link near the bottom for PRACTICAL SAILOR review.

Bill
ESPA
1969 Morgan 30

Status
Not open for further replies.