Catalina 30 Maintenance List

tym2

May 15, 2022
Catalina 30 San Diego
Sailors,

I recently purchased a 1986 Catalina 30 and I am compiling a document for maintenance.
For example:
  • Oil and oil filter changed every 6 months / 80 hours
  • Bottom cleaning monthly
  • Grease winches yearly
  • etc.
I would greatly appreciate if you could send me your maintenance list with how often you do each task in this thread. Hopefully this thread can be used by many others.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I have changed my oil and filter annually for the past 24 years. I do not really have a maintenance schedule other than that. I fix what is broken and upgrade what I want to improve.

Jan 23, 2021
Catalina 315 81 Newport Beach
Welcome aboard! This is a great planning exercise.

Depending on your engine hours, changing the oil once a year should be sufficient.
However, I would add replacing the engine heat exchanger "pencil" zinc every 6 months.
Emptying and replacing the fuel filter and water separator at least once a year is important, more often if necessary.
Cleaning the speed "paddlewheel" transducer as needed (or remove it between trips).
Cleaning the raw water filter every three months or so.

Good luck!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
every use:
- check bilge
- check battery charge level
- check exhaust water flow
- open thruhulls before use, close after use
- check VHF radio (f you can get a radio check without being yelled at)
- check steering range / functionality (turn wheel stop to stop)

monthly (or more often depending on ours of use):
- check engine oil level
- check battery water levels
- check stuffing box for leaks and temp
- check prop shaft, couplings for loose bolts (transmission output flange, set screws, etc)

annually
- oil / filter change
- shaft anode (more frequently if in salt water or if needed more often). I am in fresh water and have 2 magnesium anodes on my shaft. 1 gets replaced each year.
- bottom paint (I get away with full bottom paint every other year, and freshen up high wear areas on the in-between years)

Some of these should be modified based on your location, experience with issues, etc.

Greg

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
welcome and congratulations on your new boat.
You don't mention where you are located, and if the boat will be in the water with an occasional haul out, or on the hard during the off season.
As well as being in fresh, brackish or salt water