Catalina 30, 5411 top rpm and forward speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

W.I.Mackenzie

I have a 30' Catalina with a 5411 Universal diesel engine. All of the information that I have found state that this engine should produce appx 3000 rpms at full throttle. I can only get 2100 rpms whether I'm in forward or NEUTRAL! This could be a tach problem, but why the same rpm regardless whether I'm in forward or neutral? The forward top speed at full throttle is 4.8-5.1 knots(that is with no head wind or seas).Does anyone know what the top speed this unit should have? Is the 4-5 knots at full throttle right or should it represent appx 80% (cruising speed)? Is there a governor that is out of sorts? I cleaned the prop and couldn't find any info on the size and pitch. It is a 2 blade prop which may be the original from the mfg. The engine cranks and runs well and the bottom is clean! Help!!!!

Sep 5, 2005
- - Sydney, Australia 1989 Cat 30 #5628
have you checked throttle cable

the adjustment screw at the throttle lever near the engine may have slipped. 2100 to 2500 rpm would be cruising speed, which in my case with a 3 bladed prop translates into around 5.6 knots without headwinds and calm seas and around 5 knts in choppy conditions. Max is around 3200 rpm - which makes a lot more noise but doesn't result in significantly more speed....:( In any case you should get 3100/3200 rpm in neutral. I understand from previous posts on this subject that others with apparently correct pitch on the prop achieve up to 6.2 knts.

B

Bob

Same Issue

I posted the same issue on "other sailor forum" and on this board. I have the M-18, 14 HP Universal. If you follow the throttle linkage where it finally is hooked up on the throttle bar, you should see a few screws that act as "governors" to avoid over reving. These screws are factory set, wired and sealed. If you take the throttle cable off the bar you can rev to the max factory rpm setting. The issue is probably in your tachometer. My tach will display only 2600 rpm at full throttle. The engine is rated for a m ax rpm of 3200 and cruising ropm is between 2200 and 2600. The tachs are electric and run off the pulses form the alternator. What was recommeded to me was to run the engine, check the rpms at the engine and adjust the tach accordingly. The problem for me is that I do not have the meter to check the rpm at the engine! Before doing anything else, have your tach calibrated to match what the engine is running. Bob 30 Catalina '88

J

Jack Swords

Low RPMs-possibility

Had a similar thing happen with our 5411. Could not get RPMs up even in neutral. Ended up a blocked exhaust riser. Replaced riser, now no problem. Never affected starting or idle, just higher RPMs. We rarely cruise above 2000 RPMs with the two blade prop just in deference to this little engine. At times, we'll kick it up to 2500 to go over a bar or into a headwind. Great little engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.