Catalina 30' 1984 - Diesel Fuel Filter/Water Separator Replacement - DAHL w/element 101

Feb 1, 2024
Catalina 30 Seattle
Hi there:

I am doing some routine maintenance on the engine of my Catalina 30 1984. I have a Universal M25. I was draining as it seems it had not been in years and discovered I would like to replace the diesel fuel filter/water separator as it has a small crack in it, the bolts are so corroded I would prefer to just renew with a better alternative. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? image attached.

Thank you all, this is a great forum!
IMG_0827.JPG

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The Racor 500 is probably the gold standard for recreational boats. It is a bit large and space restrictions may not make this a viable choice. The Racor Spin Ons are also good choices and take up less space.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Engines 101 - The BIGGEST & BEST collection of M25 Series Universal Engine Information on the Internet, plus some M35, too :) This includes a link to the Critical Upgrades topic which has more engine information please read it too.

Diesel Engine - c34.org
Fuel Filtration 101 (with both primary Racor and secondary engine filter identification)
Fuel Filtration 101 & Racor fuel filter numbers and On to the secondary fuel filter!

There is a lot of other good engine and general boat info here:

Catalina 30 Groups Link

Subscribe at the web forum:

Catalina30 groups.io Group
*All things Catalina 30 and 309! Sponsored by the International Catalina 30 Assn IC30A. FAQs, Q&A, comments, and experiences especially fixes and modifications invited. Share with over 2200 other owners. Website catalina30.com* *Please join the International Catalina 30 Association.

or by sending an email to:
Catalina30+subscribe@groups.io

This comes from this sbo thread by weekendrken:

1992 Catalina 30

Also: www.catalina30.com

These are C34 threads applicable to your boat:

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The typical M25 spin on fuel filter is reported as a 20 micron filer. P/N298854

It comes in a range of price points depending on your selection of a store. There are several brand names that will match the P/N.

You want to assure a steady flow of fuel. Getting too small of a micron filter can create a fuel flow issue. A clogged filter and fuel starvation to the engine. You would want to consider more frequent fuel filter inspections.

Jun 4, 2024
Hunter Legend 35.5 Charleston SC
If you want to save a few bucks, Amazon has knock off Racors for $36.00. They use the same filters, I run 10 micron. The quality may not be that of a real Racor, but I haven't heard of any problems with them, and they don't cost $300+....