Catalina 27 shore power vs battery

May 7, 2023
catalina 27 lake st clair
When I'm connected to shore power I turn off my batteries switch. My cabin lights work fine if the batteries are on but wont run on shore power alone. What am I missing here?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Shore power most likely only powers your on board battery charger and a few AC outlets.
The rest of your lights, fans, fresh water pump, fridge, etc run off DC power so they are powered by the batteries. This is so you can run those items when your away from shore power.
#1 reason for plugging into shore power, on a boat your size, is to charge up the batteries and keep them charged while you have the DC powered lights and other accessories turned on.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Ward has it figured out.

What breakers on the AC panel? If it is like O’Day 322, I have battery charger, FWD and AFT electrical outlets and my water heater.

So, if the batteries are OFF, nothing on the DC side of the house will work.

Also, you might want to determine how your battery charger is connected to the battery bank. Traditionally, it fed power through the 1-2-both-off switch. So, if you turn the switch to off, you may not be charging your batteries.

On my boat, I leave the battery switch on all of the time, even on shore power. I have a DC fridge to keep the beer cold…so that HAS to stay on. :)

So, EVERYTHING on the DC panel is off if you turn the battery switch to off…(see…the beer fridge is on).

IMG_0690_Original.jpeg

Greg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Typically AC only powers the charger or inverter and the Hot water tank. Some older boats might have an AC refrigerator and not a 12v one. If the boat has air conditioning, it will also run on AC but not DC.

When the battery charger is on it will increase its output to both charge the battery and run the DC devices up to the max output of the charger.

May 7, 2023
catalina 27 lake st clair
My boat does not have a charger that charges the batteries while on shore power. I have a portable one that I connect occasionally but nothing hard wired. The PO mentioned this now I know why. I'm assuming there is a built in charger that stays hardwired to the batteries and powered by shore power. I need to install one of these. Does that sound correct?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
My boat does not have a charger that charges the batteries while on shore power. I have a portable one that I connect occasionally but nothing hard wired. The PO mentioned this now I know why. I'm assuming there is a built in charger that stays hardwired to the batteries and powered by shore power. I need to install one of these. Does that sound correct?
Yes. And when on shore power the battery switch must remain on for the DC electrics to work.

There are some good chargers out there that will treat your batteries well and some that are basically a path to a short life for the batteries. The article linked below does a good job of explaining battery charging and the types of chargers. Take some time read and it and come back with any questions you might have.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
It doesn't make any difference. The lights always run off the batteries. When the shore power's on, it's running the charger, not the 12 volt system. In order for your 12v DC system to operate, the RED battery selector switch needs to be on. When the battery switch is on, but the charger is off, as when you're out sailing, the DC system works solely off the batteries. When you get back to the dock and hook up the shore power, the battery charger can now be activated, where it slow the depletion of the batteries. But.... even with the battery charger operating, the 12 system still runs off the batteries.

You need to do a little research on a boat's 12 volt system.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Do it soon. It sounds like this boat is new to you? How old are your batteries and what are they? Your engine alternator and/or a portable automotive-style charger are not charging your batteries fully. You will be killing those batteries slowly (or rapidly - depending upon your usage). In any event, if you think that you may also be purchasing new batteries any time soon, do the reading up front and learn the best way to care for your batteries. They are discharged and re-charged much differently than they are with a car or even a power boat.

Solar panels are another way to keep you batteries healthy, but that's a slightly different topic.