Catalina 27 Deck ends

Sep 27, 2024
Catalina 27 Travis Lake
Hi, I recently took owneship of a catalina 27, 1978. At some point she seems to have suffered an issue with one of the shrouds and someone has replaed the deck end of the standing rigging with an eye bolt....I can not validate the material or strenth of this so would rather restore it to original. That said I don't seem to be able to find them anywhere, from what I can see Catalina direct has the replacment shround lines and turnbuckles but the kit does not seem to come with the deck ends (unless I am missing something). Does anyone know anywhere I may be able to get these (hope I am using the correct term its the very bottom of the shroud that goes through the deck and bolts inside the cabin roof.
1000004871.jpg
1000004870.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It never ceases to amaze what some people do to boats that is simply darn right stupid and potentially dangerous. :facepalm:

The shrouds attach to chainplates which carry the loads from the mast and sails. Second to the bolts that hold the keel on, they are the most stressed parts of the boat. Replacing one with an eye bolt that is presumably just through bolted to the deck places the mast and all the other rigging at risk of failure. It also raises the question, why was the chainplate replaced with an eyebolt? How was the original chainplate damaged? What other damage is there?

In order to give you reasonable advice on how to proceed, it is essential that we see photos of the eyebolt and how it is attached to the hull and for comparison the other hopefully good chain plates.

Sep 27, 2024
Catalina 27 Travis Lake
Hi the eyebolt goes through the chain plate and is bolted just like the rest only using the eyebolt instead of Catalina part. I don't have photos as left the boat at the moment.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
The original eyebolt "chainplates" were prone to failure due to undersized 3/8, CD makes a beefier retrofit that they believe is adequate for a 25 but only suitable for "light" use on a 27. They suggest a change to U-bolts which would require more work and expertise to get fitted properly and may require new shrouds as well. The original mast for your boat is no longer available and replacement may exceed insured value of your vessel.
Chainplate eyebolt retrofit kit for C-25, C-27
Chainplate U-Bolt Retrofit Kit C-27