Catalina 27 boat speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 11, 2010
Catalina 27 Simcoe
Hi
My race director keeps asking what by boat speed is in 2 knot, 3, 4, 5 knot winds.

I own a Catalina 27, 1977 standard rig.

He thinks I am blowing him off but I have know idea as I sail without any electronics.

Can anyone answer this for me.

Lookout

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
boat speed....no freaking idea....and don't care!

Hi
My race director keeps asking what by boat speed is in 2 knot, 3, 4, 5 knot winds.

I own a Catalina 27, 1977 standard rig.

He thinks I am blowing him off but I have know idea as I sail without any electronics.

Can anyone answer this for me.

Lookout
I have encounter people like this before.
Why don't you just string him along with stupid questions of your own.... This could be fun......:thumbup:
First in a series of email replies back to him could be ....#1... Is that with or without barnacles? But how many? Does he need to come out to dive on your boat too count them?...But make sure to warn him that your boat neighbors have been known to leave shore-power cords hanging in the water.... #2...Is that with bottom paint or no bottom paint? ... #3...What kind of bottom paint? ...#4 Is that with old sails or new sails?..... #5 Is that with a full batten mainsail or partial?... #6 Is that with a 110% or 150% jib?... #7 Is that with roller fulling or a hank on?... #8 Do you need to know if I have sunbrella on my roller fulling jib?.... #9 Is that with Bimini up or down?....#10 What about a wing keel verses a fin?...#11 How many people on board? Does that include the wife or does a younger girl friend make a difference?.... #12 Is that with a cruising prop ? How many blades?.... #13 What about a folding Prop?..... #14 Is that with or without the dingy on the davits or just towing the dingy?... #15 It that with generator running or not running for the air-conditioner... #16 Is that with or without hangover?...#17 Is that with the holding tank full or empty?.... You get the idea.
And if he still does not get that you have no freaking idea! And you really do not give a Sh**&(%t !!! ...Then have him served with a retraining order to be sent to a re-education camp for being stupid!:naughty::naughty::naughty:

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Is he serious? I'm assuming he is asking about best to speeds to windward.

In 2 knots most boats of that type will barely be moving.

in 3-4 knots, somewhere in the 2s

Boats really only start to get going between 5-6 knots.

Most racers will know these numbers by heart, but like I said, they are only really interesting after 5-6 knots of breeze.

Mar 11, 2010
Catalina 27 Simcoe
Thanks that is funny.

The Race directors problem may be that, a women (me) has won skipper of the year two years in a row in our boat. So this year they want to bring in a rule that we don't sail in wind below 5 knots.
I have sailed over the years at many clubs and have never seen such a rule. If the boats will sail and maneuver the race is on.

Still wondering how fast my boat is at 5 4 3 2 knots because he sails a C&C Mark 5, and should beat us across the line in all conditions all the time, and I wan't to rub it in.:)

Anyone know?

Lookout, Catalina 27, 1977 STR

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
My usual target is Close haul 30-35% of App Wind, Beam reach 40-50%of App Wind, Run>40%App Wind. I'm easily satisfied. :dance:

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
What a stupid question. The 27 is a popular boat, ask him to research it on his own if he is that interested/curious.

Sounds to me he is just trying to make you look stupid for being a capable women. He is probably scared of capable women, and is attempting to knock you down.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Sounds like you are a better sailor. You didn't say the size of his C&C, but if it is a 27, they are reputed to be very fast boats for the type and normally I would be the PHRF would indicate it a faster boat than a Catalina 27, but maybe you are beating him on corrected time. Anyway, to wonder what speed you obtain in a given wind velocity is hard to determine based on other variables. And, some yacht clubs do have a 5 kpm and less rule because when the wind is very light, it often is quite spotty and while on some parts of the course boats can drift along, on others you cannot. We have evening races and in these conditions sometimes the slower boats (and sometimes all the boats) end up being out after dark and no one finishes. So, might as well have just called it early, go put the boat away and hit the local pub.

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
Thanks that is funny.

The Race directors problem may be that, a women (me) has won skipper of the year two years in a row in our boat. So this year they want to bring in a rule that we don't sail in wind below 5 knots.
I have sailed over the years at many clubs and have never seen such a rule. If the boats will sail and maneuver the race is on.

Still wondering how fast my boat is at 5 4 3 2 knots because he sails a C&C Mark 5, and should beat us across the line in all conditions all the time, and I wan't to rub it in.:)

Anyone know?

Lookout, Catalina 27, 1977 STR
We instituted a similar "rule" a couple of seasons ago. Too many times we would start at ~3kt and call the race off in an hour because no one went more than a few hundred yards as the 3 kt winds fell to 1 kt. Our rule now is that we must have 5 kts sustained for 5 minutes before we can start our countdown.
As for the guys question; tell him it depends on whether you're sailing upwind or downwind :)

Status
Not open for further replies.