Catalina 25 swing keel weight and wobble

Jun 9, 2019
Catalina 25 Pepin, WI
I have a 1983 Catalina 25.

Does anyone know what the swing keel by itself weighs?

After hauling it out yesterday to have the keel lifting hardware replaced I noticed a few things that I'm unsure about. Video for reference:

You'll notice a lot a play in the keel when I grab and rock it. Is this normal, or should I be concerned?

Also, notice the angle of the keel cable as it goes from boat to keel, and notice the cable actually rubbing against the thru hull. The cable is routed aft of the turning ball as required.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
I used to have a C25 and I think the swing keel weights 1,500 pounds. There is a pretty active Catalina 25 association website that would really be able to confirm this. Googling it should get you there.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton

After hauling it out yesterday to have the keel lifting hardware replaced I noticed a few things that I'm unsure about. Video for reference:

You'll notice a lot a play in the keel when I grab and rock it. Is this normal, or should I be concerned?

Also, notice the angle of the keel cable as it goes from boat to keel, and notice the cable actually rubbing against the thru hull. The cable is routed aft of the turning ball as required.

That is called the Catalina klunk. Catalina Direct has shims that can be installed on the pivot pin that removes the side to side slack and eliminates the klunk. We did that on my daughter’s 1981 c-25 and it fixed the problem.

C22BC

Jan 22, 2015
Catalina 25 Harrison lake

I believe it is 1550 lbs