Catalina 22 vs 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Evans

I am a new sailor and am contemplating my first new boat. I have been looking at both the Catalina 22 and 25 in the mid 80's vintage. The 25 is a bit more. My question is do you get that much more for the extra 3 feet?

Mar 28, 2004
Hunter 27_75-84 Meg n Kate
In a word yes

I had a 22 with a swing keel. If the 25 has a fixed keel it will sail a lot better.

Jul 12, 2004
Catalina 320 chestertown
Just three feet

David, Its not just three feet -- you also get safty, stability, height, width, weight, bigger beds, better everything, including the possibility of a real head. Sounds like you need to look some more and go for a sail on some boats before you decide. Could be helpful to look at the specs on the Catalna WEB site. Welcome to sailing, best of luck. Paul

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
To me six feet means double the boat.

At least in the 30 foot range. Three feet is a lot. But just do what Paul says to do. Get out there. You'll see.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
C22 vs C25 Oh Boy!

David Paul's right. It's not the feet. Think of it in terms of VOLUME. When we went from our C22 to our C25 in 1987, it was like going from a closet to a mansion! We loved our C22, and used it weekends at Clear Lake and stayed on board. We kept our C25 on SF Bay and it was great for 11 years. If I had the choice, I'd go for the C25, even as a first boat. You can't go wrong. Our C22 seller bought it as a first boat and sold it a year later because everyone in his family liked sailing so much. You get LOTS more than just the 3 feet. Good luck, Stu PS check out the C25 website, very good info and help www.c25-c250.org

B

Bob

Big Difference

The C-25 is a lot more boat. Others will disagree with me, but my cornpone rule in that size range is that 3' essentially doubles the boat. That is, it makes a noticeable difference in sailing qualities, speed, room below, feel in rough water, and cost and size of fittings and rigging. It won't BE twice as big, but it will FEEl like it. My boat (another make) will easily outsail a C-22, but a good C-25 will give mine a fit.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Other things to look at in regards to the Catalina

One other thing that will make a difference in the way the boat sails is the keel. Do you want a fixed keel or a centerboard? What type of water are you going to sail on and what type of depth is at the marina that you want to use? The Catalina 25 is a really nice boat and the Catalina 22 is a good boat. There are some other companies out there that make a good boat in that range. I have a Hunter 22 and I love it. Everyone who has been aboard her can't believe the room that I have in my 22 foot boat. One other thing to consider is if you are going to trailer the boat or slip it. Keeping the boat in the water has its advantages as does trailer sailing the boat. The best advise that I can give is to try to figure out what type of sailing that you want to do. That will lead to the important decision of what boat you want to get! If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me. Good Luck!

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
trailering

Hello, Do you plan on trailering the boat? If so, the C25 will require a real truck, while the C22 doesn't. The C25 will weigh about 6000lb on the trailer. The C22 weighs less than 3500lb. Do you plan on overnighting or just day sailing? For day sailing the C22 would be fine. For overnighting the C25 would be a much better choice. One last point, regardless of what boat you buy, the nice thing about Catalina boats is that there will always be a market for them. So if you decide in a year or two (or longer) that you want something else, it won't be too hard to change. I bought a C22 in July of '03. My family and I sailed it all last year and the spring of this year. When I decided that I loved sailing and wanted a bigger boat I sold my C22 in 1 week to a guy on the C22 list. Barry

D

David

keep the thoughts rolling

To clarify, my primary uses will be to sail in the Sacramento Delta and the San Francisco Bay. I will be trailering the boat and my vehicle has a 5000lb tow rating. Also I want to spend no more then 5K and I want it to be in sail away condition...I don't want to have to add anything initially.

R

R Kolb

22 it is

If you want a sailaway boat with a trailer for $5k then you are talking about a C22. I have one and it is great. Enjoy.

T

Tom Monroe

The way they feel in a seaway

I went from an O'Day 22 (comparably sized to the C22)to a C27, and looked seriously at and sailed several times a C25. I agree with all the comments about size and volume, but after sailing the bigger boat for a year it is the way she handles wind and waves that is the biggest difference to me. The smaller boat gets knocked around alot. You can handle waves and chop in a C22, but you'll have to carry enough sail to maintain enough power to carry boat speed, and that takes some talent and experience, and a willingness to endure a bit of discomfort. The bigger boat carries more momentum, helping you hold your own through a wave. My C27 slices right through stuff that would stall out my old 22. Your post says SF Bay area, and if you mean the bay itself, that means 20+ mph and associated sea conditions most of the time. Experienced sailers probably take a well-maintained C22 out there for excitment ... I sure would given the chance! But for a new sailer, the extra feet give some stability that I think you'd welcome. In any case, I second the comments about trying to sail both in the conditions you'll see most often before you buy. Tom Monroe Carlyle Lake

T

Tom Monroe

Whoops ... addendum

Didn't see your post on the 5000 lb max and trailering as primary use. The C25 is right at, or maybe a bit above that limit when you include the trailer. I still hold with my comments about weight/displacement. The C25 is pushing 2000 lbs heavier. You'll hate it when trailering up a hill. You'll love it when the wind/sea gets up. Tom

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
C25

If your tow limit is 5000, and that is firm, forget the C25. As mentioned it will be over that weight (with gear) excluding the trailer. It is much more boat than the C22, but you pay for it in weight. If you are going to keep it in a slip, it is a no brainer...C25, without a doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.